May 26, 2022
- Satisfy Core Curriculum Requirements for students entering college in Fall 1999 or after. See “General Requirements for a Bachelor’s Degree .”
- Satisfy the requirements for the Bachelor of Science. Natural sciences with lab (for a total of 11 semester hours of natural sciences).
- Plan Requirements (26 upper division semester hours)
CRIJ 1301 (required for students with less than 60 hours)
ENGL 3430 Professional Writing
CRIJ 3310 Foundations of Criminal Justice
CRIJ 3314 Criminal Justice Administration
CRIJ 3316 Ethics of Social Control
CRIJ 3318 Criminology
CRIJ 3324 Research Methods in Criminal Justice
CRIJ 4320 Senior Seminar
Computer Literacy ^
- No more than one grade below “C” in these 26 s.h. will be accepted toward graduation.
- CRIJ 3310 and CRIJ 3318 are gateway courses and must be taken within the first two semesters of upper level coursework.
- All requirements for CRIJ 4320 Senior Seminar , including the CJ Senior Exam, must be passed with a letter grade of “C” or better for a student to be certified for graduation. CRIJ 4320 must be taken at the University of Houston-Victoria.
- Plan Electives (15 upper division semester hours)
- Students transferring under the 2+2 agreement with articulated lower division coursework take 15 s.h. of upper division courses in Criminal Justice.
- Students without 18-21 s.h. of lower division Criminal Justice courses take CRIJ 3321 , CRIJ 4313 , CRIJ 4321 , and 6 s.h. of upper division Criminal Justice courses.
- Support Courses (3 upper division semester hours)
- 3 s.h. from PSYC 4311 , PSYC 4312
- Free Electives. To satisfy 120 s.h. degree requirement and 36 s.h. upper division requirement.
These requirements are summarized below:
The following requirements apply to all candidates for the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Science. The Bachelor of Arts option is available to those who choose plans in Communication, Humanities, Mathematical Sciences, or Psychology. The Bachelor of Science option is available to those who choose plans in Biology, Communication, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Mathematical Sciences or Psychology.
- Satisfy all university requirements for a bachelor’s degree as found in the “University Degree Requirements ” section of this catalog.
- Satisfy Core Curriculum Requirements for students entering college in Fall 1999 or after. Note: Students who transfer from a Texas public community college or public university and are certified as core complete shall have satisfied the core requirements of UHV.
- Satisfy the requirements for either the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Science, as follows:
- Bachelor of Arts
(1) Lower or Upper Division: 3 semester hours of speech and satisfy computer literacy/proficiency requirement (See [**] below); Foreign Language: 6 semester hours at the sophomore level in one foreign language. Students submitting an acceptable score on a standard foreign language proficiency test approved by the School of Arts and Sciences may substitute 6 semester hours of electives.
- Bachelor of Science
(1) Lower Division: 3 semester hours of speech and satisfy computer literacy/proficiency requirement (See [**] below); Natural Sciences: 11 semester hours in natural sciences, at least 2 semester hours of which must be in laboratory courses. Natural sciences include biology, biophysical sciences, chemistry, geology, and physics.
[**] May be satisfied within core curriculum. However, 3 semester hours of both speech and computer literacy/proficiency are still required even if the student is certified as core complete by way of transfer from a Texas public community college or public university.
- Satisfy course requirements for the plan: At least 24 semester hours in one plan of which at least 18 semester hours must be advanced.
Core Curriculum Requirements
(42 total core hours required).
- Core 010 Communication
- Core 020 Mathematics
- Core 030 Life and Physical Science
- Core 040 Language, Philosophy and Culture
- Core 050 Creative Arts
- Core 060 American History
- Core 070 Government/Political Science
- Core 080 Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Core 090 Component Area Option: Speech
- Core 090 Component Area Option: Computer Literacy
Plan Program Requirements
(15 s.h. of Upper Division CRIJ courses)
(3 upper division semester hours)
(to fulfill hours requirements)
Total 120 s.h.
Total must be minimum of 120 s.h. with minimum of 36 s.h. at upper division level.
**CRIJ required for students with less than 60 hours.
^ May be satisfied within core curriculum. However, 3 semester hours of both speech and computer literacy/proficiency are still required even if the student is certified as core complete by way of transfer from a Texas public community college or public university.