Mar 29, 2023  
2018-2019 Academic Catalog 
2018-2019 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Support Units

Career Services

Division of Student Affairs
University North, Room 214
3007 N Ben Wilson, Victoria, Texas 77901
361.570-4369 or 361.570-4378

Career Services is the home of the Student Employment Center, a central location for students to find part-time jobs (on campus and off campus), internships, and full-time jobs.

Career Services serves UHV students and alumni through various stages of career development. Services can be accessed online and include:

  • Career Coaching and Guidance
  • Online Job Search
  • Resume/Cover Letter Review
  • Career Management and Development through Workshops and Online Programs
  • Career Events
  • Employer Information Sessions
  • Practice Interviews
  • Online Job Search
    UHV’s Jobs for Jags! Students and alumni can post resumes, perform job searches, and register to attend Career Services events. Employers can post jobs, perform student searches to match students’ career interests with employers’ hiring needs. Jobs for Jags! provides automatic email notification to students about job postings and enables students to apply for jobs online.

Students and alumni can visit with Career Services staff located on the second floor of University North, Room 214. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:30 PM. Phone number: 361-570-4369 or 361-570-4378.

Housing and Residence Life

Division of Student Affairs
Jaguar Village
2705 Houston Highway, Victoria, Texas 77901
361.485-4404 Fax: (361) 580-5565

The University of Houston-Victoria (UHV) offers on-campus residence halls within walking distance of UHV’s main campus. Jaguar Village (Jaguar Hall, Jaguar Court, and Jaguar Suites) offers fully furnished student units, individual liability leases, and cable and internet. Students also enjoy amenities including a computer center, study lounges, social recreation lounge, tutoring center, pool, outdoor kitchen and much more.

UHV recognizes the importance of student engagement and a sense of community to the ultimate academic success of university underclassmen. Thus, UHV requires freshmen and sophomore students to reside in university housing.

Professional on-site staff are dedicated to serving student needs and arranging both social and educational activities to help them meet other residents and enjoy their college experience.

International Programs Office (IPO)

University West, Room 228
3007 N Ben Wilson, Victoria, Texas 77901
361.570-4106 or 361.570-4378


The International Programs Office (IPO) is committed in providing services and programs that support the growth, development, success and retention of international students and scholars on all aspects of their life in the United States - immigration regulatory advising and processing, cultural adjustment, social enrichment, and assistance with practical matters related to living in the U.S. IPO also acts as a center for cultural and educational programming that advances cross-cultural understanding and interaction between U.S. and international students and scholars and promotes cultural competency across the University and collaborating with departments, faculty, and staff across campus in a manner that strengthens and broadens the intercultural and international dimensions at University of Houston-Victoria.

  • Quick, easy admission to UHV
  • Accredited university with quality programs nationally ranked by organizations such as The Princeton Review
  • Excellent, talented faculty delivering high-value education
  • Knowledgeable, dedicated staff to assist you from admissions to graduation and after
  • Small class sizes
  • Outstanding preparation for your career
  • Affordable
  • Scholarships available to all students
  • Safe campus environment
  • Exciting, attractive and entertaining community
  • Job opportunities on campus

International Student Admissions

Please see the International Student Admissions section of this catalog or the International Programs Office website for Admissions information.

F-1 and J-1 International and Exchange Students


All international students who are in F-1 and J-1 visa status must follow a set of immigration regulations as outlined by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in order to maintain the students international student status. The following rules and regulations is a guide to properly maintain international student’s status at UHV. For more information please visit International Programs Website for more information on Immigration.

Maintaining the Immigration Status

It is very important for an F-1 or J-1 student to maintain the immigration status while studying in the United States. Maintaining status means you are complying with immigration regulations pertaining to your F-1 or J-1 nonimmigrant status. Failure to maintain your status can lead to termination of your Form I-20 or DS-2019 record and loss of your student visa. There are several important things you must do to maintain status. Please visit our website on Immigration to learn how you can maintain your immigration status.

Maintaining Immigration Documents

  • Passport: Students must have a valid passport at all times. The passport must be at least 6 months to the future. If the passport will expire soon, student must make necessary arrangements to renew the passport. In most cases the passport can be renewed from your home country embassy or consulate in the U.S. Please note: give enough time to renew your passport. Certain countries may have to send your passport to your home country for renewal.
  • I-20/DS-2010: International students must be aware of the expiration date on their I-20/DS-2019. If it is not possible to complete your academic program by the I-20/DS-2019 expiration date, students must request a program extension a minimum of 2-3 weeks prior to the I-20 expiration date on the I-20/DS-2019. Students who fail to complete a Program Extension Form with International Programs Office will be considered out of status.

International Student and Exchange Students Full-Course Load Requirement

International students who hold an F-1 visa must be in compliance with the regulations set forth by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Enrollment in online courses during the fall and spring terms is limited to one online class within the full-course load. It is the F-1 student’s responsibility to monitor their schedule to comply with this requirement in order to maintain legal visa status while in the United States. Failure to comply with this requirement may lead to termination of the student’s F-1 visa status and possible deportation. No tuition or fees will be refunded to the student in this instance, and degree completion may be delayed or indefinitely interrupted.

Drop/Withdrawal of Classes

International Students cannot withdraw from a class that results in going below full-time without prior authorization from the International Programs Office. Please do not drop a course or to receive a W in the course to avoid an impending F in the class. Instead, ask the student to see the International Programs Office for assistance. Students who drop below 12 credits (UG) or 9 credits (Grad) do not have the option to “make up” the credits in the summer. Receiving a W at the end of the semester is the same violation as if the student dropped the course during the add/drop period

International and Exchange students on F-1 and J-1 visa status are able to drop below the fulltime course load in certain instances. Please check the International Programs Website for more information on Reduce Course Load.

Maintaining Academic Progress

Making academic progress is very important for all students, especially international students who come to America on an F or J student visa. To maintain an F-1 or J-1 immigration status, the regulations require students to make academic progress towards a degree and towards graduation. An international student that fails to progress academically may have difficulties renewing their visa, transferring, or completing their program by the end date on their I-20 or DS-2019.

If you are an international student on academic warning, probation or suspension please visit the International Programs Office immediately.

International Students on Academic Suspension:

What it means for international students: International students are required to meet with an international student advisor to discuss what options are available for suspended international students. An academically suspended student will not be eligible to register at UHV for 1 term. If a student is suspended a 2nd time they will not be eligible to register at UHV for 1 year. International students which are academically suspended will need to do one of the following within one week of grades coming out (winter break, spring break, or early summer break):

  • Students may apply for an “Academic Appeal” with the designated school. Please contact the Academic Success Coach for additional information.
  • Students may transfer to a different school. The student must first get admitted to a different school or program and show the International Programs Office the acceptance letter and financial guarantee if applicable for the new school. The SEVIS record will remain active as long as the transfer is done in a timely manner.
  • Students may withdraw from UHV and exit the U.S. within 14 days. The student’s immigration record will be terminated.
  • Students who take no action will have their SEVIS record terminated and will be out of immigration status. Students who remain in the U.S. will be here illegally.


Graduation is the most important event of your educational pathway in the United States. If you are a student in junior standing we recommend that you plan your graduation efforts starting your junior year. Which means you will need to look in to the following items:

  • Work with your academic advisor of your course completion plan and have an idea of your final semester
  • Attend the mandatory sessions for Optional Practical Training (OPT) even though you have time to apply and the session on “Graduation and Life After Graduation” session
  • Gather your paperwork
  • Visit the Career Services Specialist and work on your resume, CV and cover letter
  • If you do not plan to apply for OPT, you have 60-days depart the United States upon graduation. If you plan to apply for OPT, remember to apply for OPT ahead of time and maintain rules and regulations as an OPT student
  • If your plans are to enroll at another U.S institution or enroll at a Graduate School, please have the acceptance letter from the U.S. institution or from the Graduate School or if you are continuing your education at UHV an acceptance letter from the program indicating your start date or the program 1st week in May or 1st week in December (the semester you graduate)
  • Visit the International Programs Office to discuss your future plans with one of the advisors. You can email at

International and Exchange Student Sash Ceremony

International students will receive a Sash of the country of their citizenship to wear to the commencement. Sash Ceremony is designed for graduating international students. UHV International Programs Office will provide a sash from the country of citizenship for graduating international students. International students will wear their sashes during commencement.

International Student and Exchange Student Employment

“Employment” is work performed in exchange for compensation. Compensation can include money, room and board, or other significant benefits. Before accepting any kind of employment, be sure it is allowed by the F-1 regulations. Note that the off-campus employment opportunities generally require you to have completed one academic year (two semesters) to be eligible to apply for work authorization. Consult International Programs Office with any questions related to F-1 status and employment. For more information on employment and the types of employment for international students please visit our website on Current International Students.

Grace Period

International students and exchange students have a set of grace period regulations that must be met to their visa status.

  • F-1 students who complete an academic program or OPT have a 60-day grace period to depart the U.S., change to a different program, degree level, change institutions or change visa status (H1-B, PR). Immigration status for F-2 is dependent on F-1 student and they cannot remain in the U.S. under the F-2 status after the F-1 student has departed the U.S. during the grace period.
  • J-1 students who complete an academic program or academic training have a 30 day grace period to depart the U.S., change to a new program, transfer or change to a different institution or change of visa status (H1-B, PR). Immigration status of J-2 is dependent upon J-1 student and they cannot remain in the U.S. under the J-2 status without the presence of the J-1 student.
  • F-1 or J-1 students who have received prior authorization to withdraw from classes have 15 days to depart the U.S. after the withdrawal date. Students who withdraw from classes without prior authorization are not eligible for a grace period.

Program Extension

F-1 and J-1 students are given a specific period of time to complete the academic program requirements. For F-2 students, this period of time is shown on #5 of your I-20 and for J-1 students, this period is shown on #3 of your DS-2019. Please note the expiration date on the I-20/DS-2019. Students who are unable to meet the academic program requirements by that date must request a program extension from International Student Services before the I-20 expiration date. If the expiration date on the I-20/DS-2019 has passed, students must meet with International Programs immediately, as the student is considered to be out of status.

  • Eligibility Criteria
    • The expiration of your I-20/DS-2019 has not yet passed
    • Continuously maintained the F-1 or J-1 student status
    • The delay in completion or program must be due to one of the following reasons:
  • Compelling academic reasons (change of major, change in research topics, unexpected research problems, unexpected grades, repeat courses)
  • Compelling medical reasons (documentation is require from Hendrix Health Center or U.S. licensed medical physician)
  • Must have sufficient funds to cover the additional time needed to complete program requirements, check with International Programs Office for the actual dollar amount

All F-1 and J-1 international and exchange students must visit the International Programs Office for up to date information. All J-1 Exchange Visitor Scholars must visit the Exchange Visitor Scholar website for additional information.

VC/UHV Library

2602 N Ben Jordan, Victoria, Texas 77901
361.570.4166 Fax: 361.570.4155

UHV Library collections provides users print and eBooks. Other resources feature access to full-text journals and research databases.   Audiovisual resources include audio books, feature films, music recordings, video recordings, including streaming video services.  Off-campus and online students, may access the Library’s electronic resources and many of the Library’s services through the library web page.

Computer workstations provide access to the Internet, research databases, and reference materials, as well as word processing and other office applications. Wi-Fi access is available.

Conference and group study rooms may be checked out. A media lab with 3-D printers and scanner, green screen, softbox light stands, and professional video editing software is also available.  Checkout of laptop computers, cameras, and other equipment is available.

Librarian services include research assistance via email, text, and chat, as well as a full program of library instruction.  Interlibrary Laon services are also available to students and faculty at no charge.  Library staff at UHV Katy provides additional assistance.

The Regional History Center (RHC) houses books, photographs, manuscripts, and archives relating to the history of the Victoria region and Texas.

The VC/UHV Library is a joint library serving the University of Houston-Victoria and Victoria College and occupies a three-story building on the west side of the Victoria College campus. Library facilities include an auditorium, conference and group study rooms, study carrels, leisure reading areas, and space for individual study.

The UHV Library will be moving in Spring 2019 to the newly constructed University Commons located at 3006 N. Ben Wilson, Victoria, Texas 77901.

Student Life and Services

Division of Student Affairs
Jaguar Hall, Suite 1135
2705 Houston Highway, Victoria, Texas 77901

For Student Life and Services questions, telephone:
(361) 485-4411 or toll-free (877) 970-4848 ext. 4411
Fax: (361) 580-5506

The Department of Student Life helps students achieve their academic goals and enhance their intellectual and social development through a variety of programs. We promote student leadership, collegiality, and good citizenship. The department supports the academic mission of UHV, assures the rights of students, and ensures students get the support necessary to be successful at UHV and in their communities.

We contribute to a healthy, safe, and productive academic environment and are responsive to the needs of our diverse student body. Students are encouraged to contact us with any questions or needs they may have.


The university hosts two commencement ceremonies, one following the spring term and one following the fall term. An application for graduation is to be filed in the Office of the Registrar and Student Records by the published deadlines. Students applying for graduation will be asked to indicate whether or not they will participate in the commencement ceremony. Students who indicate that they will participate at commencement will receive information from the department about caps, gowns, announcements, and information about graduation day. For more information about commencement, visit


Jaguar Hall, Jaguar Suites, and Jaguar Court are located on Houston Highway and are within walking distance of UHV’s main campus. Services located in Jaguar Village that are available to all UHV students includes computer labs with printers, Student Life, group and individual study areas, community garden, recreational field, The 11:59 Lounge, JP’s Market (Food Pantry), The Den (Student Organization Resource Area), The Snack Shack, Campus Security, Testing Services, two residential pools, fitness center, and a dining facility offering a variety of meal options.


Identification Cards

Students living in UHV resident halls are issued an identification (ID) card, also known as the Paw Pass. This ID card provides access to many resources provided by the university such as dining hall meals, building access at residence halls, use of the library, and can be used for entrance to certain university events such as athletics. The identification card can also be used in the community for discounts at various participating businesses in the Daily Deals student discount program.

Students are responsible for maintaining a current ID card for the entire duration they are affiliated with the University of Houston-Victoria and are responsible for the safekeeping of their ID card. Student ID cards and/or replacements can be requested at the Jaguar Hall front desk.

If a Paw Pass is desired, students can contact the Paw Pass Office to request one or submit an online application through JagSync. Once in JagSync, fill out the information requested on the form. Upload a copy of your State issued ID or Driver’s License. You will need to take a photo for your ID and upload it to the form. Please make sure the photo follows the instructions to ensure acceptance and submit the form upon completion.

Non-residential students can use their Jaguar Cards as ID cards unless they would like to have a Paw Pass. No one other than the student to whom the card is issued may use the ID card for any reason. The Paw Pass is the property of the University of Houston-Victoria and may be revoked at any time by the university. Students attending classes online or at the Katy campus are not required to have an ID. Further questions or correspondence can be addressed by emailing

Counseling Center

UHV’s Counseling Center offers a broad range of student-focused, short-term, episodic services, including counseling, assessment, consultation, and outreach. The Counseling Center also houses the VIP Program and Jags for Life, which are focused on reducing interpersonal violence on campus and preventing suicide, respectively. Our mission is to work to empower college students to be capable adults responsible for their own well-being, to maturely choose how, when, and even if to address behaviors that may negatively impact their academic performance and quality of life. Our services are designed to support students as they adjust to challenges and transitions as well as to help faculty, administration, and staff function more effectively in their work with all UHV students. Through our endeavors, we support the educational mission of UHV and facilitate mutual respect and understanding among people of diverse backgrounds. Currently enrolled UHV students in the Victoria-area can access counseling services on the Victoria campus. UHV students located in the Houston-area can access counseling services through the UT Health Science Center. Please see the Counseling Center website to make an appointment and learn more.

Student Center

A Student Center is located at Jaguar Hall. Students can enjoy comfortable seating, vending machines, a game area, ping pong, pool, and large screen televisions. Table games and DVDs may be checked out at the Front Desk. Outdoor seating areas are also available for students’ enjoyment. A large dining area is available with a variety of food offerings.

UHV students are welcomed at the Victoria College Student Center where the bookstore is located, along with Subway, TV rooms, reading room, meeting rooms and a game area. A convenience store offers a variety of food and beverage items to meet the needs of students, faculty, staff, and visitors.

Student Conduct

UH-Victoria students must conform to all university policies and procedures. The Student Code of Conduct and the academic sanctions and appeals process are available in the Student Handbook.

Student Discount Program

Students are eligible for discounts at local businesses through our Daily Deals program. A discount program brochure is available in the Department of Student Life located in Jaguar Hall, suite 1135. You can also find a complete listing of updated deals by visiting the Daily Deals webpage.

Student Handbook

The Student Handbook is intended to convey official university policy and procedures to students at the University of Houston-Victoria. Students should also refer to the UHV catalog, class schedules, or university officials for additional information. The Student Handbook may be accessed online. A hard copy of the Student Handbook can be requested from the Department of Student Life located in Jaguar Hall, suite 1135 or can be found on the Student Handbook website.

Student Health Insurance

A hospital, medical, and surgical insurance plan is available to all university students at a nominal cost. Information on available insurance plans for domestic and international students can be accessed on the Student Insurance website.

At University of Houston-Victoria, students or exchange visitors who hold an F1 or J1 visa are required to have hospitalization, medical and surgical insurance which includes a repatriation and evacuation benefit. Cost for this insurance may be added to the fee bill each fall and spring term. Students enrolled for the spring term are covered through the summer term. A Health Insurance Waiver Request form is available on the International Programs Forms page for international students (F1/J1 visa holders only) who have the minimum required coverage through other sources. Students who begin enrollment in a summer term may purchase a short-term policy for adequate coverage during this period of study before the fall term begins.

Student Health Services

Students who live on the University of Houston-Victoria campus or within 50 miles of UHV’s Victoria campus are eligible to use the Community Health Centers of South Central Texas as their primary care provider, without any other form of insurance. More information is available on the Health Services website.

The health center is conveniently located at 2503 Hospital Drive, Victoria, Texas 77901, across from Jaguar Village. The co-pay will be no more than $25 per visit. Some students may qualify for small co-pay by providing a copy of the financial aid eligibility.

Student Lounges

The Spot is maintained for students on the first floor of the University West building. A microwave oven, refrigerator, television, copy machine, magazines, and newspapers are available for use. The 11:59 Lounge is located in Jaguar Hall and is equipped with a pool table, gaming systems, and television. The Snack Shack is located within the 11:59 Lounge and sells snacks, drinks, coffee, and more!

Student Organizations

Opportunities for the development of leadership skills are offered to students through participation in recognized student organizations. Students are encouraged to participate in existing service, honor, social, or professional organizations or start their own. For more information on active organizations, policies for the recognition and operation of student organizations, and other pertinent material can be obtained upon request from the Department of Student Life or accessed online at

Student Government Association

Student government at UH-Victoria exists in the form of the Student Government Association (SGA). This governing body’s purpose is to promote communications among constituents of UHV, enhance the unique educational environment of UHV, and address specific needs of students in order to provide a voice to and for the student body with respect to academic, social, and cultural matters. The membership is composed of an Executive, Legislative and Judicial branch.

The Executive Branch consists of a President, Vice-President, Chief Justice, Speaker of the Senate, Director of Public Relations, Director of Finance, and Director of Student Organizations. The Legislative Branch, or Student Senate, consists of nineteen (19) student senators, which include three Academic Senators to represent the interests of students in the academic colleges and departments, fifteen Senators to represent the interests of their specific class, which include three freshman, three sophomore, three junior, three senior, three graduate and one Speaker of the Senate. More information about the Student Government Association can be found on the SGA website.

Student Travel

Texas Education Code, Section 51.949, as enacted by the 77th Legislature requires the regulation of certain types of student travel sponsored, supported or sanctioned by the university. UHS System Administrative Policy 03.E.08 establishes the system-wide policy for this type of travel. See UHV policy F-3: Student Travel for more information.

Study Areas

In Victoria, there are individual and group study areas in the VC/UHV Library and in Jaguar Village for students who reside in campus housing.


UHV provides students with testing services on the Victoria and Katy campuses. Students can schedule correspondence exams throughout the year by contacting the Testing Coordinator at (361) 570-4285. Faculty can also refer students to the Testing Center for makeup exams, which require an appointment.

The Testing Center administers standardized testing for students enrolling in college or completing certification requirements: the TSI, TCEQ, TExES, and Nelson-Denny Reading Test. Testing services also provides accommodations for students with disabilities. Appointments are required for every exam. Register for an exam at RegisterBlast. More information about testing services is available on the Testing Services website.

Student Success Center

University West, Suite 133
3007 N. Ben Wilson Victoria, Texas 77901
Toll free: 877-970-4848 ext. 4288

Peer Tutoring

The Center offers a free peer tutoring program for a wide variety of subjects. Though the exact list depends on tutor availability, generally the Center offers tutoring in math, history, science, and computer science. Please visit the Student Success Center (Peer Tutoring) website for a current schedule. Most peer tutoring occurs on a drop-in basis in Jaguar Hall 1129. Some tutoring also occurs in the University West building. No appointment necessary.

The SSC also provides peer tutoring via Adobe Connect, web conferencing software. For students who cannot physically come to Victoria for assistance, this product is ideal as it allows the tutor and the student to communicate via webcam. An appointment is necessary for this service. Please visit the Peer Tutoring website for more information.

Success Advocates

The Success Advocates are undergraduate students who work with the Success Center to help promote overall student success on campus. They are active throughout campus and work closely with students to help the Success Coaches identify the needs of students in order to create activities, programs, workshops, and presentations to address student needs. The Student Success Advocates’ goal is to be leaders who encourage, guide, and support UHV students. Advocates also serve as an additional contact point for the Success Coaches.

Success Coaches

Student Success Coaches advise all students through their first 45 hours of course work and undeclared majors until they choose a major. They visit with students face-to-face, by telephone, or via email. Students may opt to visit with a Success Coach as often as they wish.

The Success Coach assists students with various strategies to effectively use their time and stay focused on their educational goals. The Coach helps students make good choices and overcome academic and social obstacles. To make an appointment with your Success Coach, please call 361.570.4288, email, or register at WCOnline.

Supplemental Instruction

Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a program that offers weekly review sessions for certain core classes that freshmen often find challenging. SI is offered through the SSC in collaboration with key faculty members. In SI, a tutor “takes” a course he or she has already passed with an A or B and creates review sessions based on course content.

Testing Services

The SSC also provides students with testing services on the Victoria campus, including entrance exams (THEA Quick Test, Millers Analogy Test, HSRT) and certification exams (TExES/ExCET and TCEQ Occupational Licensing exams). Students can schedule correspondence exams throughout the year by contacting the SSC testing coordinator at (361) 570-4285. Please see the Testing website for more information. Appointments are required for every exam. Register for an exam at RegisterBlast.

Writing Center

The Student Success Center (SSC) provides free writing assistance and writing resources to University of Houston-Victoria students in Victoria and Katy. Face-to-face or online, the Center staff review class papers for students. The Student Success Center also reviews resumes and cover letters for alumni.

During sessions with writing consultants, individuals may discuss a paper or document in progress. Trained tutors review these documents, discuss techniques for analyzing and revising assignments, and assist students to devise solutions to writing problems. Writing consultants also provide a similar service online. UHV students may make an appointment for face-to-face tutoring, email documents as attachments through WCOnline, or sign up for virtual tutoring through WCOnline. We will review the document and offer comments and suggestions. The Writing Center also offers a writing lab, where students can drop-in and work on papers, getting feedback as they write.


The Student Success Center offers various workshops in a presentation-style format every semester to enhance student note-taking, reading, studying, and exam-taking skills. The complete list of workshops can be found at Peer Tutoring.

Additional Resources

The Student Success Center has a library of helpful resources concerning writing, grammar, math, and study skills. These handouts are available both onsite (UW 133 or Jaguar Hall 1129) and on our Resources web page.

Department of Information Technology

University Center, Suite 207
3007 N Ben Wilson, Victoria, Texas 77901
361.570.4390 Fax: 361.580.5569

The Information Technology department provides academic and administrative computing and telecommunications resources for the University of Houston-Victoria. Information Technology also supports faculty, staff, and students with audiovisual technologies including distance learning through interactive videoconferencing.

UHV.EDU student accounts are automatically created when students apply to the university, and provide access to a variety of resources such as email, myUHV, library databases, online courses, and computer labs as well as cloud-based MS Office Web Applications and OneDrive online storage. Internet access is available through the lab computers as well as via a wireless network for individuals who have devices with Wi-Fi compatible network cards.

Information Technology Services at University of Houston-Victoria in Victoria

The Information Technology offices and facilities are located on the second floor of the University Center Building. Both Open Labs and three Teaching Labs operated by Information Technology Services are located there. One ITV classroom is located on the second floor and three ITV classrooms, including one with computer workstations, are on the third floor. Technology Services also provides Open Labs in each of the residence halls.

The Open and Teaching Labs utilize Dell PC’s running Windows Operating Systems. All of these machines can be used for word processing, electronic spreadsheets, presentation development, database management, and other common computer software applications. Current software available includes, but is not limited to: Office 2010 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Access), SPSS, Visual Studio, Matlab, and Adobe Creative Suite 5 and 6. However, some of these applications are only on specific workstations. A software inventory is available at the lab assistant station to identify where the software is installed. Printing resources for the lab systems include black and white and color-ink printing, which can be requested through the lab assistant desk. A print allowance of $15 is in effect for all student accounts per semester. Scanners, CD+RW drives, DVD+RW drives, and handicap accessible workstations are available. Wireless internet is available in all buildings for individuals who bring their own devices. This equipment is available to all students enrolled at UH-Victoria.

During operating hours, lab assistants are on duty to provide support in the use of the hardware and software. Operational hours for these labs are posted.

Additional information on technology resources, availability, and staff.

Information Technology Services at UHV Katy Campus

For students attending classes at the UHV Katy facility, academic computing and telecommunications services are available. There are 124 PC workstations available in the open computer lab, virtual library lab, ITV computer lab, and 2 instructional computer labs. The open lab, virtual library lab, ITV computer lab, and instructional labs are located on the third floor of the Katy campus. These workstations and laptops run the Windows operating systems and have a variety of software including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Visual Studio. However, some of these applications are only on specific workstations or laptops. A
software inventory is available to identify where the software is installed.

Internet access is available through the lab computers using Microsoft Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. Printing resources for the lab systems includes black and white laser and a print allowance of $15 is in effect for all student accounts per semester. Scanners and DVD+RW drives are available, along with wireless access to the network and Internet for individuals who have laptops with Wi-Fi compatible network cards.

The service desk is located in room 3-19. Operating hours are posted at the Service Desk and in the open computer lab. Katy Information Technology Services personnel are available during the facility’s operating hours to provide support for the computing resources as well as assistance for connections to the wireless network. They also provide support for the campuses’ six videoconferencing rooms. More information on technology services for students and questions can be addressed to or (877) 970-4848, Ext. 4399.

Instructional Television (ITV)

UH-Victoria and UHV Katy campus both provide Instructional Television (ITV) rooms to support classes offered in this medium.