Jul 21, 2024  
2021-2022 Catalog 
2021-2022 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Office of Financial Aid

Office of Financial Aid
University West, Suite 110
3007 N Ben Wilson, Victoria, Texas 77901
For Financial Aid questions, telephone:
(361) 570-4125 or toll-free (877) 970-4848 ext. 4125
Fax: (361) 580-5555
Email: finaid@uhv.edu

Applying for Financial Aid

UH-Victoria administers a wide range of scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study employment for students who qualify. It is to the student’s advantage to complete a 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as possible since limited funds require that priority be given to the earliest applicants. Students are required to reapply and submit a new FAFSA annually because regulations governing financial aid change each year. The FAFSA application can be found at http://studentaid.gov or on the “Applying for Financial Aid” page of the Financial Aid website.  The 2020-21 FAFSA is available October 1st each year.  The 2020-21 UHV Scholarship Application is available to all students.  Students are required to complete the scholarship application once a year to be considered for a scholarship.

Viewing Your Financial Aid Status

UHV student e-mail is the official mode of communication that is used to notify students of changes or updates to his/her UHV records. Students should check their UHV student e-mail account periodically. Students can view his/her UHV financial aid records on-line in their myUHV account.  Students should review their financial aid status; accept, modify, or decline financial aid awards; and/or view the tasks listed on the To Do List and/or holds on their student account.  Please note that additional forms and documents may be required in order to complete tasks listed on the To Do List and/or to clear holds.  Most of these forms can be found on the UHV Financial Aid web page.

Awarding Process

The Department of Education has announced an implementation for the removal of the Drug Conviction Eligibility Criteria for FAFSA files as of June 17, 2021. 

Students must meet the following minimum requirements for a majority of the financial aid programs: demonstrate financial need (except for certain loans); have a high school diploma, General Education Development (GED) certificate, complete a high school education in a home school setting that is treated as such under state law, or have completed an Ability to Benefit exam prior to July 1, 2012; be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. permanent resident; have a valid Social Security number; be unconditionally admitted to UHV; be degree seeking; making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree or certification; not be defaulted on any educational loan or owe a refund on a federal or state grant; be registered with the Selective Service, if male; be enrolled at least half-time (except Pell Grants); certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes; and not be convicted of possessing and/or selling illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while receiving federal student aid. Transient and visiting students who are non-degree seeking at UHV are not eligible for financial aid.

The priority deadlines are as follows:

March 15 - Fall
October 15 - Spring
March 15 - Summer

The most common type of financial aid is a “package” which is awarded in the following order: grants, scholarships, employment, and/or loans. Prior to awarding federal, state, and institutional financial aid, a student’s eligibility is reviewed. Financial Aid awarded prior to the student enrolling for the term may be based on full-time enrollment and aid awarded after the student enrolls will be based on the student’s current enrollment status. Financial aid will not be awarded until all requested documents have been received and reviewed. Students who have incomplete files should be prepared to pay for their tuition, fees, books and supplies, and other educational expenses by the payment deadline.

An Award Notice email will be sent to the student’s UHV e-mail address informing them that they need to review their financial aid offered on the myUHV web link and then accept, modify or decline the awards. All students accepting a Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan will need to complete the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note at http://studentaid.gov so the loan can be originated. Future loans accepted by students will be originated using the promissory note on file with the Department of Education.

Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling for undergraduates and graduates is required for all first-time Federal Direct loan borrowers attending UHV. Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling is required of Federal Direct Grad PLUS borrowers if the student has not previously received a Direct Loan. Federal Direct Loan Exit Counseling is required for all undergraduate and graduate loan recipients each time they complete a degree, drop below half-time, leave UHV, or withdraw from the semester. The web site available for loan counseling is http://studentaid.gov. If loan borrowers need to defer payments or request a forbearance on his or her Federal loan(s) while in repayment, forms are available at www.trelliscompany.org or his/her loan servicer.

If students are planning to receive financial aid at UHV as co-enrolled students, they must complete a Consortium Agreement form each semester they co-enroll. In addition, a copy of the student’s class schedule and paid fee receipt is required as proof of enrollment. The Consortium Agreement form can be located at http://www.uhv.edu/financial-aid/forms/ . UHV currently has consortium agreements with Austin Community College, Lone Star College System, Coastal Bend College, Houston Community College, Victoria College and Wharton County Junior College. Consortium agreement forms are also available for students co-enrolling with UH, UH-Downtown and UH-Clear Lake. Federal regulations may not allow students to receive financial aid from two institutions simultaneously or for classes that will not transfer to the student’s UHV degree plan.

Due to the wide range of financial aid available, the specific processes for applying, and the constant change in available funding, students are encouraged to contact UHV financial aid personnel early in the process and to keep the staff informed of any changes that may occur which would affect his/her ability to pay for educational expenses.

UH-Victoria Programs of Financial Assistance

Hinson-Hazlewood Loans
Federal College Work-Study Program
Federal Direct Loan Program (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)
Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Program
*Federal Pell Grant Program
*Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Program
*Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants
Federal TEACH Grant
Miscellaneous State Scholarships
Texas College Work-Study Program
* TEXAS Grant
Texas Public Education Grants (Resident or Nonresident)
Tuition Offset Grants
UHV Scholarships

* For Undergraduate Students Only

For a brief description of the criteria of the programs listed above, contact the Office of Financial Aid or log on to www.uhv.edu/financial-aid/.

Endowed scholarship funds are awarded on the basis of financial need and academic merit. To view the online listing of university scholarships, go to www.uhv.edu/financial-aid/paying-for-college/scholarships/. In addition, the community and civic organizations award several scholarships to UHV students. Some of the organizations require you to complete their applications. Information on new student scholarships may also be obtained by contacting a UHV recruiter in the student’s prospective Academic School (ex. Arts & Sciences, Business Administration, etc.) or Student Recruitment Office. At times, UHV offers special scholarship incentive programs. If a student is recommended for one of the scholarships, the student may be required to complete the UHV Scholarship Application.

Bureau of Indian Education – Higher Education Grant Program

The BIE Higher Education Grant provides supplemental financial aid to the eligible American Indian/Alaska Native student seeking a Bachelor’s degree. Students must be a member of, or at least one-quarter degree Indian blood descendant of a member of an American Indian tribe which is eligible for the special programs and services provided by the United States through the Bureau of Indian Affairs because of their status as Indians. Students must be accepted for admission to UHV and demonstrate financial need. The grant application is available with the education officer of the Tribe in which the student is affiliated or possesses membership. If the student’s tribe is not administering the grant program, they can direct you to the nearest Bureau of Indian Affairs, Education Line Officer for the application. For more information, review the following website: http://www.bie.edu/ParentsStudents/Grants/index.htm. Full-time Graduate students who are members of a federally recognized Indian/Alaska Native tribe can contact the American Indian Graduate Center for an application at (505) 881-4584. Additional information is available at the following website: http://www.aigcs.org.

Tuition and Fee Exemptions

Exemptions and waivers are issued only for the period in which a student is currently enrolled; therefore, applications must be submitted no later than the official closing day of the semester or summer term being attended. An example is the Hazlewood Act Exemption. The UHV Student Billing Office processes the tuition exemptions and waivers. For a listing of Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board exemptions, log onto the College For All Texans website, www.collegeforalltexans.com/.

Vocational Rehabilitation

The Texas Rehabilitation Commission offers assistance for tuition and required fees to students who have certain physical or emotional disabilities, provided the vocational objective selected by the student has been approved by an appropriate representative of the Commission. Through this state agency, other rehabilitation services are available to assist disabled persons to become employable. Application for this type of assistance should be made to the nearest rehabilitation office. Inquiries may be addressed to the Texas Rehabilitation Commission, 4102 N. Navarro, Suite D-2, Victoria, Texas 77901.

Veterans’ Benefits

UH-Victoria is approved by the Texas Education Agency for VA educational benefits for veterans, children and spouses under Chapters 32 and 35, Title 38, U.S. Code. Student veterans may receive assistance in applying for benefits from the Office of Financial Aid. To expedite payments, veterans should contact the Office of Financial Aid at least 60 days prior to the first class day of each semester or term to complete all necessary paper work for that period of study. Co-enrolled students must inquire with the UHV VA Officer regarding additional documentation required for his/her file. The student file may be certified as early as 10 days prior to the first class day of each semester.

The Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30) Active Duty Program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Generally these benefits are payable up to 10 years following release from active duty.

The Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 1606) Selected Reserve Program or the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607) may be available if the student is a member of Selected Reserve (Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard Reserve and the Air National Guard Reserve). For Chapter 1607, recipients must have been approved prior to November 25, 2015. Benefits will end November 2019.

Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components. VA makes the payments to the student. The student may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of educational benefits. Benefit entitlements end 10 years from the date of the student’s eligibility for the program or on the day he or she leaves the selected reserve.

Survivors and Dependents’ Education Assistance Program (DEA Chapter 35) offer up to 45 months of education benefits.

Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31) eligibility for the Veterans benefits is determined by the Vocational Rehabilitation Office in Houston, Texas.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) goes well beyond helping to pay for tuition. Many veterans who served after September 11, 2001, may get full tuition and fees, a new monthly housing stipend, and up to a $1000 per year stipend for books and supplies. Chapter 33 also gives Reserve and Guard members who have been activated for more than 90 days since 9/11 access to the GI Bill® benefits.

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship can be awarded to children of an active duty member of the Armed Forces who has died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001. A child may be married or over 23 and still be eligible. The children are entitled up to 36 months of benefits (in-state undergraduate tuition and fees, plus a monthly living stipend and book allowance) at the 100% level; have 15 years to use the benefit beginning on his/her 18th birthday; may use the benefit until his or her 33rd birthday; cannot use the benefit before age 18; and are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Texas veterans who have no eligibility remaining under any program of the United States government may be eligible for exemption of tuition and certain fees under the provisions of the Hazlewood Act.

Additional information regarding Veterans Benefits may be obtained by visiting the VA Website www.gibill.va.gov. The VA Certifying Official is located in the Office of Financial Aid.

For Additional Information: Veteran’s Administration Regional Office
P. O. Box 8888
Muskogee OK 74402

Websites students may want to visit regarding financial aid are:

www.uhv.edu/financial-aid/ www.collegeforalltexans.com
www.aie.org www.fastweb.com
www.fafsa.gov www.studentaid.ed.gov
www.nslds.ed.gov https://www.uhv.edu/myuhv/

Disbursement of Financial Aid

Financial Aid awards that have been accepted in myUHV will appear as anticipated aid on the student’s billing account. If the aid exceeds the institutional charges, the student does not have to make any other payment arrangements. On the first class day, financial aid disbursements for eligible students will be processed and later applied to the student’s account. Each semester enrollment and eligibility reviews are conducted prior to authorizing the release of aid. Aid may be awarded based on full-time enrollment and aid is applied to the student’s billing account (disbursed) based on actual enrollment. If discrepancies are found, the disbursement of aid will be delayed until all discrepancies are resolved. Eligibility and enrollment reviews are also conducted after the census date. Aid will be adjusted accordingly. If the aid applied to the student’s account results in a credit, the remainder will be disbursed to the student within 14 business days according to the refund option the student selected on the Bank Mobile website.

Revisions of Financial Aid Awards

Financial aid adjustments may result in the student repaying a portion of any financial aid received.

CHANGE IN COURSE LOAD BETWEEN THE 1ST AND 12TH CLASS DAY (MAINTAINING AT LEAST HALF-TIME ENROLLMENT STATUS): Grants and scholarships will be reviewed between the 1st through 12th class day (date varies). If a student adds or drops courses, the grants and scholarships will be reevaluated. Downward financial aid adjustments may result in the student repaying a portion of any financial aid received. The tuition refund may be returned to the state or institutional fund(s). Courses dropped after the 12th class day (date varies) will not cause a reevaluation of aid awarded. If the Direct loan funds have been disbursed to the student who has reduced his/her hours, the loan will not be adjusted. The student´s enrollment adjustment may cause an over award. If the student has other forms of aid, the awards may be reduced or canceled to reduce or eliminate the over award situation. Second disbursements may be adjusted or canceled to reduce or cancel an over award as well, if applicable. Pending fund availability, some financial aid awards will be increased if the student added additional courses. 

DROPPING BELOW HALF-TIME PRIOR TO THE 13TH CLASS DAY: The student´s loan servicer will be notified of the student´s enrollment status change which will cause his or her grace period to begin. The student borrowers second loan disbursement will be canceled, if applicable. All grant and scholarship awards will be adjusted accordingly which may result in a balance on the student’s account. If the Direct Loan funds have been disbursed to the student who has reduced their hours, the loan will not be adjusted. The student´s enrollment adjustment may cause an over award. If the student has other forms of aid, the awards may be reduced or canceled to reduce or eliminate the over award situation. Second disbursements may be adjusted or canceled as well, if applicable. The student must pay UHV for tuition and fees, if applicable, for continued enrollment in courses in a less than half-time status.

WITHDRAWALS BETWEEN 1st AND 12th CLASS DAY: Students who withdraw prior to the 13th class day will have the Return to Title IV calculation computed for all federal aid disbursed. A portion of the student’s federal aid will be adjusted downward which may result in the student repaying a portion of federal aid previously disbursed. Refer to the Return of Title IV Funds Policy for withdrawals on or after the 1st class day. One hundred percent of all institutional and state financial aid will be returned to the funds. Financial aid adjustments may result in the student repaying a portion of any financial aid disbursed.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Effective: July 1, 2016

Students admitted into a course of study leading to a degree, and who receive federal, state, institutional or veterans’ financial assistance have their academic progress reviewed
by the Office of Financial Aid at the end of each payment period. Financial aid recipients must meet several aspects of satisfactory academic progress to maintain their aid eligibility. Federal guidelines state that all periods of attendance will be counted toward the students’ academic progress review, regardless of whether the student received financial aid. Students must meet the following qualitative and quantitative standards to maintain financial aid eligibility at the University of Houston-Victoria.

Qualitative Measures of Academic Progress

Grade Point Average

Incoming freshman or new undergraduate transfer students to the University of Houston-Victoria will be eligible to apply for financial assistance if they have been admitted to the university.

Undergraduates, including post baccalaureate students, must maintain at least a 2.00 cumulative G.P.A., based on a 4.0 grading scale at the University of Houston-Victoria.

First-time, first-year, or transfer graduate students will be eligible to apply for financial assistance if they have been admitted to the university.

Graduate students are required to maintain at least a 3.00 cumulative grade point average, based on a 4.00 grading scale at the University of Houston-Victoria.

The minimum cumulative grade point averages are consistent with the university’s requirements for graduation.

Quantitative Measures of Academic Progress

Pace of Progression

Undergraduate students, including post-baccalaureate students, receiving financial assistance must complete at least 67% of the cumulative credit hours attempted. Transfer hours are included in the calculation.

All graduate students receiving financial assistance must complete at least 67% of the cumulative credit hours attempted at the University of Houston-Victoria in order to maintain eligibility. Transfer hours are included in the calculation.

Maximum Timeframe

Undergraduate students are expected to complete their degree or certification within a maximum of 180 attempted credit hours. If a student changes plans, he or she must still receive his or her bachelor’s degree or certification within a maximum of 180 undergraduate attempted credit hours. No limit is set to the number of times a student may change his or her plan; however, all attempted undergraduate hours at UHV and transfer hours will be included in the SAP maximum timeframe determination.

Post-Baccalaureate students are expected to complete their degree or certification within a maximum of 45 attempted credit hours. A total of 225 attempted undergraduate credit hours is the combined maximum timeframe for a student to complete his/her bachelor’s degree and post-baccalaureate program.

Graduate students are expected to complete their degree or certification within a maximum of 68 attempted graduate credit hours. If a student changes plans, he or she must still receive his or her master’s degree within the 68 attempted graduate credit hour limitation. No limit is set to the number of times a student may change his or her plan; however, all attempted hours at UHV and transfer hours will be included in the SAP timeframe determination.

Transfer Work

Credit hours transferred to the University of Houston-Victoria will count as both attempted and completed hours in the pace of progression and maximum timeframe determinations.

Treatment of Grades

Withdrawals (W), Satisfactory (S) and unsatisfactory (U) grades are not figured into a student’s grade point average. Withdrawals and unsatisfactory grades are considered attempted hours in the pace of progression and maximum timeframe quantitative measures. Incomplete grades are also considered attempted courses. When a student informs the Office of Financial Aid that an incomplete grade has changed to a passing grade, the student’s academic progress will be reassessed at that time. If the student does not inform the office, the grade change will not be reflected until the next regular review of satisfactory academic progress.

Repeated courses are considered attempted hours and if the student received a passing grade, the repeated courses will also be considered completed courses. The most recent grade of a repeated course will be included in the GPA calculation. Undergraduate students may receive Title IV aid for only one repeat of a previously passed course.

Remedial class(es) and ESL classes are not included in the quantitative and qualitative measures.

Courses dropped prior to the term’s census date will not be considered in the SAP calculation.

Monitoring of Academic Progress

The cumulative grade point average, pace of progression, and maximum credit hour limitation are monitored each term. Financial Aid Specialists monitor graduate students who are within 9 hours of the maximum time frame and undergraduate students who are within 20 hours of the maximum time frame limits.  The FA Specialist will notify the student’s academic advisor to dtermine how many hours the student has remaining to complete his/her degree program.  If the student will not be able to complete his/her degree withing the maximumm time frame, the student will be placed on SAP suspension.

If any student fails to meet one of the SAP quantitative or qualitative measures, the student will be placed on financial aid warning for one term. If the student does not meet the measures at the end of the following term in which the student was on warning, the student will be placed on financial aid suspension. Students on financial aid suspension will not be eligible to receive any form of financial assistance. Records used to monitor satisfactory academic progress will be filed in the student’s financial aid electronic folder. Students will be able to view their Satisfactory Academic Progress on the myUHV Self Service website. Email notifications will be sent to the student’s UHV email account when they have been placed on Warning status.

Appeal Process

All students not meeting the satisfactory academic requirements will be notified by mail stating that they have been placed on financial aid suspension. The letter will contain the website link to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy and a link to the SAP Appeal Form. Students who have questions or concerns about the situation are welcome to speak with the Financial Aid Specialist who monitors SAP or they may appeal the suspension.

Students who have mitigating circumstances may submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal eForm along with pertinent documentation within two months of receiving the letter of suspension. Examples of mitigating circumstances are a death of a relative, an illness or injury to the student, or other special circumstances. The appeal and supporting documentation should be submitted to the University of Houston-Victoria’s Financial Aid Appeals Committee; University of Houston-Victoria; 3007 N. Ben Wilson; Victoria, TX 77901-5731, or sent electronically to finaid@uhv.edu. The committee consists of the Financial Aid Specialist, a Student Success Coach, and a Student Billing Staff Member or their designees. The appeals committee will meet within two business weeks of receiving the appeal. The deadline to submit the SAP Appeal form is one month prior to the end of the term in which the student is applying for aid.

The student must provide the following:

  1. The circumstances which caused their suspension and what has changed in the student’s situation that will allow the student to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress at the next evaluation.
  2. The student’s plan to correct the circumstances (e.g. planned usage of the Student Success Center).
  3. Intended future enrollment plan including the number of hours remaining before receiving degree.
  4. Any other pertinent documentation regarding mitigating circumstances (i.e., letter from physician).

If the student receives a favorable decision from the UHV Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals Committee, the student will be placed on financial aid probation. Financial aid eligibility will be granted for the probationary period. A student on financial aid probation may receive aid for one payment period.  At the end of one payment period on financial aid probation, the student must meet UHV’s SAP qualitative and quantitative measures or meet the requirements of the academic agreement developed by the institution in order to receive financial aid funds for the subsequent payment period. UHV may develop an academic plan for the student, and if followed, will ensure that the student is able to meet the institution’s SAP standards by a specific point in time. The student will need to fulfill specific terms and conditions such as meeting the terms of a Financial Aid Academic Success Plan, taking a reduced course load, enrolling in specific courses, no drops or withdrawal of classes, and/or achieve a specific term GPA.

The student is called after the committee meets to explain the results of the appeal. An email will also be sent to the student via E-forms notifying him or her of the results of the appeal. Appeal denial letters are to include a statement stating that neither paying for their own classes nor sitting out for an enrollment period is sufficient for students to re-establish eligibility for Title IV aid. A copy of the letter will also be filed in the student’s folder. If the student is concerned about the outcome of the committee’s appeal, the student can make an appointment to visit with the Financial Aid Director. A maximum of two appeals per career may be submitted.

A student may receive grants, scholarships, and work study for the payment period in which the student regains eligibility. For Federal Direct Loans, a student who does not meet satisfactory academic progress standards at the beginning of a period of enrollment but who meets the standards later in that period is eligible for the entire period of enrollment in which he or she met the satisfactory academic progress standards.

Disbursement of Policy

Students are notified of the SAP policy in the UHV Catalog online and on the UHV Financial Aid web page. In addition, copies are available as a handout in the OFA. The policy is also mailed to students not meeting academic progress.

Return of Title IV Funds Policy

Effective: July 2011

When a student totally withdraws, stops attending, is expelled or takes a qualified leave of absence from all classes in a given semester, the Higher Education Act requires the institution to determine whether Title IV funds must be returned by or on behalf of the student. Title IV aid is earned in a prorated manner on a per diem basis up to and including the 60% point in the semester. For example, a student who withdraws completing only 30% of the term will have “earned” only 30% of any Title IV aid received. The remaining 70% must be returned by the school and/or the student. Aid adjustments may cause the student to repay a portion of any financial aid received. Students will be notified of any indebtedness to UHV. Students who withdraw after completing 60% of the term will be considered to have “earned” 100% of the aid.

If a student is thinking about withdrawing from all classes PRIOR to completing 60% of the semester, he or she should contact the Office of Financial Aid (OFA) to see how withdrawal of classes would affect his or her financial aid. A copy of the “Return of Title IV Funds” worksheet used for this calculation can be obtained from UHV´s Office of Financial Aid.

Tuition and Fee Refund Policy for All Students

Refunds on all institutional charges, including tuition and fees, will be calculated in accordance with Section 54.006 of the Texas Higher Education Code refund policy when a student drops a class or withdraws from UHV. UHV´s Institutional Refund schedule is available at: http://www.uhv.edu/student-billing/drop-and-withdraw-refund-schedule/.

Official and Unofficial Withdrawals

This policy shall apply to all students who officially or unofficially withdraw from the University of Houston-Victoria (UHV), and receive financial aid from Title IV funds.

The term “Title IV Funds” refers to the Federal financial aid programs authorized under the Higher Education Act of 1965 (as amended) and includes the following programs: unsubsidized Direct loans, subsidized Direct loans, Direct PLUS loans, Federal Pell Grants, TEACH Grant, Iraq Afghanistan Service Grant, and Federal SEOG. The calculation does not include the Federal College Work-Study program.

A student’s withdrawal date is: the date the student began the institution’s withdrawal process or officially notified the institution of the intent to withdraw. This can be done by withdrawing in myUHV. For a student who leaves without notifying the institution, the withdrawal date will be determined by the midpoint of the period or the student´s last date of attendance at a documented academically-related activity (examples of academically-related activity include an exam, a tutorial, computer assisted instruction, physical attendance where there is direct interaction between instructor and student, participation in on-line discussion about academic matters, initiation of contact with instructor to ask questions about academic subject matter, class assignments completed, or a meeting of a study group assigned by the school). Logging into an on-line class only is not considered an academically-related activity. If special circumstances exist that prevent a student from beginning the withdrawal process, the Director of Financial Aid will consider these matters on a case by case basis.

Enrollment reports are reviewed to determine who has withdrawn and the date of withdrawal. The Office of Financial Aid also receives an “All F” report at the end of each semester from the Registrar’s Office. Students who receive a letter grade of “F” in all courses registered for a term will be subject to the Return of Title IV Funds calculation once a withdrawal date is determined. Professors are contacted for determining the student´s last date of academic related activity.

For students enrolled in Modules

A student is considered withdrawn if the student does not complete all of the days in the payment period that the student was scheduled to complete. UHV will track enrollment in each module (a group of courses in a program that do not span the entire length of the payment period, for example, an intersession or mini-sessions combined to form a term) to determine if a student began enrollment in all scheduled courses. If a student officially drops courses in a later module while still attending a current module, the student is not considered as withdrawn based on not attending the later module. However, a recalculation of aid based on a change in enrollment status may still be required.

If a student provides written confirmation to UHV at the time of ceasing attendance that the student plans to attend another course later in the same payment period, the student is not considered to have withdrawn from the term. If the student does not provide written confirmation of plans to return to school later in the same period, a school considers the student to have withdrawn. However, if the student does return to UHV in the same period, even if the student did not provide written confirmation of plans to do so, the student is not considered to have withdrawn after all and is eligible to receive the Title IV funds for which the student was eligible before ceasing attendance. UHV will then reverse the R2T4 process and provide additional funds the student is eligible to receive at the time of return.

Title IV Aid Disbursed or Could Have Been Disbursed

The first step of the calculation is identifying all the net Title IV aid disbursed to the student’s account or by check prior to the determination of the student’s withdrawal date. To be aid that could have been disbursed, the Department of Education had processed the student’s FAFSA with an official EFC, SEOG was already awarded, a loan was certified or originated by the school and the student had a valid MPN. Aid that is prohibited from being disbursed prior to the student withdrawing is also aid that could have been disbursed. However, the student will never be able to receive the funds. For example, aid prohibited from being disbursed could be the 2nd disbursement of a loan for the payment period.

Earned Aid

The percentage of Title IV aid earned shall be calculated as follows: # of days completed by student / Total # of days in term. The percent of term completed shall be the percentage of Title IV aid earned by the student. The total number of calendar days in a term of enrollment shall exclude any scheduled breaks of more than five days.

Unearned Aid

The percentage of Title IV aid unearned (i.e., to be returned to the appropriate program) shall be: 100% minus the percent earned. First, UHV shall return the unearned aid to the federal programs or servicer by debiting the student´s account. The calculation is as follows:

Total required institutional charges X percent of unearned aid = amount returned to program(s) by UHV

Institutional charges consist of tuition and fee charges assessed prior to the withdrawal and on-campus room and board charges.

Second, the student shall return the unearned aid to the federal programs or servicer as follows:

Total unearned aid less the institution´s share = amount returned to the program by the student

Distribution of Title IV Funds

Unearned Title IV aid shall be returned to the following programs in the following order:

Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
Subsidized Stafford Loan
Graduate PLUS Loan
Parent PLUS Loan
Federal Pell Grant
Federal SEOG
Iraq Afghanistan Service Grant

Exception: no program can receive a refund if the student did not receive aid from that program. When the total amount of unearned aid is greater than the amount returned by UHV from the student´s account, the student is responsible for returning unearned aid to the appropriate program(s) as follows:

Unsubsidized Stafford Loan*
Subsidized Stafford Loan*
Graduate PLUS Loan*
Parent PLUS Loan*
Federal Pell Grant**
Federal SEOG**
TEACH Grant**
Iraq Afghanistan Service Grant**

*Loans amounts are returned with the terms of the promissory note.
**Grant funds due to be returned would be the initial amount of grants for the student to return minus 50% of grant aid disbursed. A student does not have to repay grant overpayments of $50 or less per program.

Time Line for Return of Title IV Funds

Adjusted bills will be sent to the student´s home address on file in myUHV following withdrawal or, in applicable cases, refunds will be issued in accordance with the student’s selected refund preference. Students are responsible for any portion of their institutional charges that are left outstanding after Title IV funds are returned. The Student Billing Office will send each student up to three collection notices, allowing outstanding balances to be paid within 90 days. Delinquent accounts are assigned to an outside collection agency and are reported to the credit bureau. Students who have an outstanding balance on their UHV student account will remain ineligible to register for courses in upcoming semesters until the account is paid in full.

Institutional and Student Responsibilities

UHV´s responsibilities in regard to the Return of Title IV funds include:

  • Providing each student with the information given in this policy (See the UHV Catalog or UHV Financial Aid website at http://www.uhv.edu);
  • Identifying students who are affected by this policy and completing the Return of Title IV Funds calculation for those students within 30 days of determining the student withdrew and returning any Title IV funds that are due the Title IV programs within 45 days of determining the student withdrew.
  • Contact a withdrawn student prior to making a Post-Withdrawal Disbursement of loan funds to explain loan obligations and confirm if the loan funds are still wanted by the student within 30 days of the school’s determination of the student withdrawal.

Documentation of the student´s decision and contact information must be filed in the student´s folder.

The student´s responsibilities in regard to the return of Title IV funds include:

  • Becoming familiar with the Return of Title IV policy and how complete withdrawal affects eligibility for Title IV aid; and
  • Returning to UHV any funds that were disbursed directly to the student and which the student was determined to be ineligible for via the Return of Title IV Funds calculation.
  • Provide a response within 15 days instructing UHV to make a post-withdrawal disbursement.

Michael withdrew after attending 11 days of a 110 day enrollment period.
He received a $1000 Pell Grant and a $2500 Federal Subsidized Loan.
His institutional costs were $1000.
Days attended 11 / Days in Period 110 = Percentage completed 10%

Total Title IV aid disbursed $3500 X % Completed 10% = Earned Aid $350
Total disbursed aid $3500 - Total Earned Aid $350 = Unearned Aid $3150
100% - % Completed 10% = % Unearned Aid 90%
% Unearned Aid 90% X Institutional Charges $1000 = Uncoverable charges $900
The lesser of: Unearned Aid to be Returned ($3150) or Uncoverable Charges = $900
Unearned Aid $3150 - Institution´s Share $900 = Student´s Share $2250

The institution will return $900 to the Federal Subsidized Loan servicer.
The student will return $1600 to the Federal Subsidized Loan servicer according to the terms of the promissory note.

Initial amount of unearned aid due from the student $2250 - student´s repayment to the student´s loan $1600 = Initial amount of Title IV Grants for Student to Return $650
Grant aid disbursed $1000 X 50% = $500
$650 - $500 = Title IV Grant Funds for the Student to Return $150
If the student´s account has a balance after returning the financial aid, the student will be billed.


Students may make a written appeal for an exception based on their individual circumstances. The appeal should be made to the Director of Financial Aid.  An appeal would be, for example, if the professors withdrew a student from all the classes. The professors did not provide a last day of academic related activity so the calculation used the midpoint in the term. The student wanted to provide documentation to prove that he or she attended classes longer than the midpoint in the term.

The fees, procedures, and policies listed above supersede those published previously and are subject to change at any time.