Sep 22, 2021  
2020-2021 Academic Catalog 
2020-2021 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

U.S. Transfer International Students

U.S. Transfer International Students:

           Fall –  August 1                                 Spring –  December 15


English Proficiency

All F-1 and J-1 visa holder students attending the University of Houston-Victoria must be proficient in the use of English. Students whose educational instruction has not been in the English language and/or whose first or native language is not English, must demonstrate English proficiency in one of the following ways.

Undergraduate and Graduate English Proficiency Requirement (EPR)

International students must meet ONE of the following English Proficiency Requirements:

  • 500 on the Paper Based TOEFL
  • 61 on the internet-based TOEFL
  • A score of 5.5 on the IELTS
  • Satisfactory completion of level 109 or higher in an English Language School
  • CET -4 (China) 440 or higher
  • BULATS (Business Language Testing Services) 59 or higher
  • CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference) B1 or higher
  • TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication) 550 or higher
  • iTEP (International Test of English Proficiency) 3.5 or higher
  • WASSCE/WAEC : Students must earn a minimum score of C4 on the English Language section (West African Senior School Certificate Examination/ West African Education Council)
  • Edexcel O/Ls or A/Ls C or better for English Language
  • SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) Scores of 990 or higher with combined scores of Critical Reading and Math
  • ACT (American College Testing) score of 18 or higher
  • PTE (Pearson Test of English) 43 or higher
  • MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) 69 or higher
  • Completion of the highest level of an English Program through an accredited English Program in the U.S or overseas
  • Completion of Cambridge English Level B1 or higher
  • Completion of Level 6 at any A.C.E. Language Institute
  • Completion of UHV ESL On-Demand Program through English3

Graduate Student Requirements

Certain graduate programs may require higher English Proficiency Scores. Please contact the Graduate Program for specific graduate program requirements.

English Proficiency Requirement Waiver Interview

If you are an undergraduate or graduate student F-1 visa or J-1 visa holder who wishes to request the English Proficiency Requirement waived (International students from non-native English speaking countries) please contact the International Programs Office on how you can complete the English Proficiency Requirement Waiver by simply conducting a face-to-face Listening, Speaking and Writing interview. Students must have a high speed internet connection, a computer with a webcam, microphone, and a skype account. Please remember to add UHV International Programs skype account uhvinternational to your skype account. International Programs Office will set-up a date/time where the international student will be able to conduct a face-to-face speaking and writing interview to waive the English Proficiency Requirement. In order to grant this option, first you must complete the entire undergraduate or graduate application process to UHV.

English Proficiency Exemptions:

  • Applicants are exempt from the English proficiency requirement if either (a) they are a citizen of Native English Speaking Country, or (b) they received, or will receive, a Bachelor’s degree or higher from an institution located in one of the following countries: Australia, the British Caribbean and British West Indies (Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Tobago and Trinidad), Canada, Ghana, Ireland, Kenya, Liberia, New Zealand, Nigeria, South Africa, United Kingdom, and the United States.
  • Earned a high school Diploma, Associates of Arts, Associates of Science, or bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited U.S. high school, college or university.
  • Completion of freshman composition English with C or better, quarter system institution students must complete two freshman composition courses with C or better.
  • Completion of an accredited English Program through Commission on English Language Accreditation.

Immunization Requirements for UHV Students

Texas State Law (SB 62) mandates that all entering college/university students under the age of 22 provide a certificate signed by a health care provider or an official immunization record verifying that the student has been vaccinated against bacterial meningitis, or has received a booster during the five years prior to registration. See related information about this requirement from the Texas Department of State Health Services web page.

The vaccine must be administered at least 10 days before the first day of the semester.

  • Fall 2019 Semester: by August 16, 2019, Friday
  • Spring 2020 Semester: by January 11, 2020, Saturday
  • Summer Semester: by May 22, 2020, Friday
  • Fall 2020 Semester: by August 14, 2020, Friday

Submit the completed online UHV Bacterial Meningitis Immunization Record form and immunization record via email to, or via fax to 361-580-5500.

Students may request an exemption from the vaccination for bacterial meningitis for reasons of conscience, including a religious belief:

The appropriate ORIGINAL FORM must be mailed to:

Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment
University of Houston-Victoria
3007 N. Ben Wilson
Victoria, TX 77901

Students enrolled only in distance education (online) courses will never take face-to-face or ITV classes should complete the Online Classes Only Immunization Waiver Form.

Readmission of Former Undergraduate Students

A student must request an Update to Admissions Application for former UHV students to a future term if the student does not enroll for the term indicated on the original application. This form is located on the Admissions eForms portal).

A former student must submit transcripts from all colleges attended since the last enrollment at UH-Victoria.

Readmission of Former Graduate Students

A former student of UH-Victoria is not required to file a new application for admission. If the student does not enroll for the term indicated on the original application they must submit a Graduate Studies Form for the new term and/or program. This form is located on the Admissions (“Forms”) webpage.

A former student must submit transcripts from all colleges attended since the last enrollment at UH-Victoria.


It is the applicant’s responsibility to have complete, official transcripts sent directly from each institution of higher education the applicant has attended to the Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment of UH-Victoria. UHV considers transcripts official only when they bear both the signature of the registrar and the seal of the issuing school and are sent directly to the UHV Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment from the registrar’s office of each school the applicant has attended. The applicant must submit a transcript of any college work attempted previously at another institution whether or not the applicant earned any credit.

If the applicant’s official transcript(s) have not arrived at the UHV Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment by the 12th class day of a fall or spring semester/term or the 4th class day of a summer term, UHV may administratively withdraw the applicant from all classes for the term. Also, UHV may require the applicant to forfeit all tuition and fees. Records from one institution carried on a transcript from a second institution do not qualify as credentials for admission

In computing undergraduate grade point averages for admissions purposes, only the semester hours and grade points earned on the last enrollment in a repeated course will be used for computation of the required grade point average for admission.

International Students (non U.S. citizen nor a permanent resident of the United States; a holder or prospective holder of an F-1 student visa) - See “International Programs” section for additional information regarding international transcripts and/or evaluations.

All transcripts, marks, and certificates submitted to UHV become the property of the university and are not returned to students. If only one set of documents is issued by the student’s country of origin, students should send attested/certified copies of the documents/translations in the appropriate manner indicated below. DO NOT send the original document issued to the student by the university or government agency. UHV is not responsible for damage to original documents submitted by applicants. For possible temporary conditional admission, take the original document to a campus location nearby and request that a UHV staff member make a copy of the original document for submission to the Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment.

Transcripts become the property of UH-Victoria and cannot be returned. They will remain on file in the UHV Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment for two years or until the applicant enrolls at UHV, whichever occurs first.

A transcript request form for applicants from international institutions is available on the Admissions “Forms” page. Students may print the International Academic Records Request Form, complete the top part of the form, then submit to their international institution with any required payment due to request a transcript be sent to the Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment. The form will be completed by the registrar and returned to UHV with the transcript and will verify degree completion.

Student Recruitment

UHV’s Student Recruitment team consists of four regional units (Austin, Houston, San Antonio, and Victoria) who are responsible for all undergraduate recruiting efforts across the state of Texas. In concert with the Letting Education Achieve Dreams outreach initiative, each recruitment coordinator is able to provide both UHV enrollment information, as well as, age appropriate, college awareness presentations to primary and secondary age groups.

To find out who your area recruitment coordinator is, please email us at or call 361-570-4110.