Jun 19, 2024  
2023-2024 Academic Catalog 
2023-2024 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

International Admissions

The University of Houston-Victoria is authorized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to enroll international students who enter the United States with an F-1 and J-1 student visa. The following information pertains to admission for the F-1 and J-1 visa holder. The International Programs (IP) is required by law to enter student information and update the student information each semester/term in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) regarding student enrollment and related personal information. The International Programs Office will issue an I-20/DS2019 to students who are fully approved to a program of study at UHV after the following steps for admission to the university are completed by the student.


International Students (out of the U.S.)

International students must submit applications for admission and all supporting admission documentation, regardless of Student degree objective, by the following dates to ensure time for processing:

           Fall - June 15
           Spring - November 15
           Summer - March 1


U.S. International Students (Non-Immigrant visa holder students in the U.S.)

            Fall – August 1
            Spring - December 15
            Summer - April 1


Summer Enrollment       

Summer enrollment is not warranted to new entering F-1 and J-1 students due to face-2-face/ITV course requirement. U.S. transfer student summer enrollment is reviewed on a case-by-case basis once the summer academic course schedule is published at UHV.

Program Specific Deadlines

Certain Undergraduate and Graduate programs will have different priority deadlines. Please refer to each UHV Academic Program for specific deadlines date.

Late Applications            

Late applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis depending on U.S. Embassy visa wait times and course availability for face-2-face/ ITV courses. Late applications will not be guaranteed admissions.

International Student Application Requirements

completed international application for admission. See the international student information on the International Admissions web page.

An official transcript from each higher secondary education school, college or university attended. All transcripts submitted to UHV become the property of the university and are not returned to students. If only one set of documents is issued by the student’s country of origin, students should send attested/certified copies of the documents, with translations if needed, in the appropriate manner indicated below. DO NOT send the original document issued to the student by the university or government agency. UHV is not responsible for damage to original documents submitted by applicants. University may require marksheets or other documentation necessary during the review of the application and student must submit the requested marksheets if applicable.

Student transferring credits, courses, degree, diplomas from an institution in the United States must submit official transcripts no later than August 1st for fall semester, January 5th for Spring semester.

University/College level courses taken outside of the United States must be submitted through an approved credit evaluation agency by NACES.

Comprehensive Course-By-Course evaluation completed by a different organization not listed at www.naces.org are reviewed on a case-by case basis.  If a student has previously obtained a comprehensive evaluation from an outside agency that is an agency not listed in NACES, UHV may accept an official copy of the evaluation and a copy of the original documents for admission purposes when the evaluation document indicates verification of attendance and degrees. The International Programs will review a copy of the evaluation and determine whether the student should request the agency to send the evaluation copy, as well as a copy of the documents evaluated, directly to the International Programs.

If a student is unable to provide the course-by-course evaluation report by an approved organization listed at www.naces.org  

Issuance of official transcripts

Official transcripts should be issued directly to UHV by the course/ degree awarding institution registrar, principal or responsible head of each institution attended. When this is not possible, documents certified by an embassy or consular official, EducationUSA center, Fulbright, or government agency in charge of educational verification as true copies may be accepted. Notarized documents by government agencies are not accepted as official.

Uncertified or unattested copies/ transcripts

Uncertified or unattested copies are not acceptable for unconditional admission to the university. The university will make a reasonable determination of those courses completed outside the United States.  However, international students may be required to have a catalog match evaluation performed by an outside agency to determine course equivalencies. This may take longer to complete, and it is imperative that students submit international documents as early as possible to ensure adequate time for application approval.

International Credential Evaluations

University and College curriculum varies by country, not only in language but also in practice. All courses, certificates, and degrees completed at an institution outside of the U.S. is subject to a credit evaluation.

Students must submit all official international transcripts/degrees/diplomas to a credit evaluation agency approved by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services and request a course-by-course evaluation report electronically sent directly to the International Programs. Students who provide a course-by-course evaluation by any organization approved by NACES will not need to submit duplicate transcripts to UHV. For more information pertaining to credential evaluation, please visit the International Transcripts Page. If the credential evaluation report indicates the courses completed outside of the U.S. to be U.S. equivalent, all courses or some courses may transfer to UHV.

Transfer of Credits/ Courses completed at an institution outside of the U.S.

If a student is planning to transfer as an undergraduate or graduate student to UHV with courses completed at an institution outside of the United States, International Programs or Academic Advisors will not be able to accurately map the degree plan with transfer credits until the NACES approved courses-by-course evaluation report is submitted.  Completion of the credential evaluation report by NACES approved organization may not guarantee course/ degree transfer to UHV. The NACES approved course-by-course evaluation indicates the U.S. Equivalency to the courses, degree, diploma according to the U.S. standards. It is up to each academic college to make the decision based on the course-by-course evaluation report.

Students who wish to transfer credits/ courses to their undergraduate/ bachelors or masters/ graduate degree will need to submit the official evaluation prior for admissions.   

If the official evaluation is delayed or not able to provide at the time of admissions, student will be enrolled as an undergraduate freshman student if post-secondary transcripts were provided to the university.

U.S. citizens, Permanent Residents or other non-immigrant or immigrant visa status students with courses, diplomas, degrees completed at an institution outside of the United States will be reviewed by the International Programs. International Credential evaluations are required for all college and university level coursework completed outside to the United States regardless of non-immigrant or immigrant status.

During Emergency Situations

During country emergencies, other situation(s) such as government shutdowns, university closings, natural disasters such as hurricanes, flooding or pandemic or epidemic International Programs may temporarily grant admissions by reviewing unofficial transcripts for courses, diplomas, and degrees completed at an institution outside of the United States. Once the student is enrolled in their first class at UHV, students must submit the official course-by-course evaluation report to the University no later than the 60th class day. Failing to submit the evaluation will cancel enrollment and/or authorization will not be granted to move forward beyond the first semester at UHV. Temporary evaluation process cannot guarantee course transfer if students are planning to transfer courses/ credits completed at an institution outside of the U.S. until the official NACES evaluation is submitted.

University reserves the right to not to review the application without the credential evaluation report and request the student to submit official credential evaluation report. If no evaluation is received student will be admitted as a freshman student if postsecondary transcripts were submitted.

Test Score Requirements

Undergraduate Students
International Students on F-1 and J-1 visa students are not required to submit SAT and ACT scores. International F-1 and J-1 students are required to meet the TSI upon arrival to the University.
Graduate Students
Graduate Applicants must submit official scores for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT), or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores, letters, and essays that are required by their desired degree program. See appropriate college section of this catalog for more information. The GRE aptitude (verbal and quantitative sections only) is required for most majors. MAT scores may be substituted for the GRE by counselor education applicants.

The GMAT may be required based on an applicants GPA. Please contact the College of Business at busadvisor@uhv.edu for more information on their GMAT Waiver policy.

         The scores will be used with Student grade point average to calculate a graduate admission index.

Graduate Test Score Waiver Policy
The above GRE and GMAT test scores can be waived if students meet the requirements set forth by each academic department. Computer Science and Computer Information Systems students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher and Master of Business Administration Students GPA 2.5 or higher can request GRE test scores to be waived.

Submission of Test Scores

Test scored can be submitted electronically. Please request ETS, GRE, GMAT and other testing organizations to submit the test scores electronically to UHV for faster processing time.

TOEFL test scores must be sent to the institutional code: 6917

Test scores can be sent electronically to International Programs Office at international@uhv.edu

English Proficiency Test Score Waiver Policy

International students can request an English Proficiency Requirement (EPR) waiver by connecting with the International Programs at international@uhv.edu if the student is not able to meet the English Proficiency by testing by the admissions deadline.

Graduate International Student Admissions

Graduate international student admissions for F-1 and J-1 students must follow all the requirements mentioned above. Application documents will be maintained and reviewed by the International Programs. Once the application materials are all complete, International Programs submits the application to the respective academic schools for review. Academic schools may take 7-10 business days to review each student application. Once the academic college approves admissions International Programs will complete admissions and issue acceptance letter and the appropriate immigration document.

English Proficiency Requirement

All students attending the University of Houston-Victoria must be proficient in the use of English. Students, regardless of immigration status, whose educational instruction has not been in the English language and/or whose first or native language is not English, must demonstrate English Proficiency Requirements listed or apply for the English Proficiency Waiver or must meet the English Proficiency Requirement Exemptions. Students are given the option to opt out of the English Proficiency Requirement by facing a virtual interview with one of the staff members at the International Programs. Visit English Proficiency Requirement website to learn about how Student can fulfil the English Proficiency Requirement.

The UHV F-1- J-1 Student Agreement Form must be submitted to the International Programs along with a copy of the student’s most recent passport. This ensures the International Programs to issue the immigration document accurately as the with applicant or sponsor’s supporting bank documents verifying funds available in English with dollar amounts in U.S. dollars must be submitted before an I-20 may be issued to the applicant. The minimum amounts needed for study at UHV during the Academic Year is posted on the International Student information page of the university website: Tuition and fees are subject to change due to Texas legislative action and UHV policy changes.

Proof of Funding

International Programs is required by law to verify that each international student on F-1 and J-1 have sufficient funds to cover the duration of their stay in the U.S. All students must submit the Letter of Sponsorship along with a bank statement with one years’ worth of funding listed at the cost of attendance at the www.uhv.edu/international website. The bank statement(s) must be less that 6-months from the issue date. Students who are sponsored by a U.S. citizen can submit an attested letter indicating sponsorship, along with paystubs and an affidavit from the bank statement in lieu of Affidavit of Support Form I-134. If not, Immigration Form I-134 is required by all U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents financially sponsoring a F or J student. If a sponsor is sponsoring multiple students in the United States, the sponsor must enter the total cost of attendance for all students and must have sufficient funding for all students.  

Photocopies of all previous and current U.S. immigration documents should be submitted by students who are already in the United States. For students outside the U.S., submit photocopy of passport pages with legal name of student applicant and dependents if they will travel to the U.S. to live with applicant. For students who will transfer to UHV from an institution in the United States, the admissions officer will facilitate the transfer through SEVIS after the student is approved for admission to UHV.

International students may be given conditional admissions. Graduate and Undergraduate student application will be reviewed pending final high school transcript, final degree confirmation, NACES course-by-course evaluation report, English Proficiency Requirement, Proof of Funding, and Bank statements. In order for conditional admissions to convert to fully admissions students must meet all the requirements. Upon completion and approval of all requirements student’s acceptance letter, I-20/DS2019 will be issued.

Acceptance Notification

Students will be notified via email of the status of the application. Student must provide the International Programs the method of delivery of the acceptance letter and the immigration document.

Delivery Method of acceptance letter and immigration document


All acceptance letters and immigration documents will be emailed to the student’s listed preferred email in students application portal. If student wish to receive a “wet signature” packet, International Programs will only mail “wet signature” documents via express mail. Refer to I (c)

Regular or Snail Mail

If student fails to confirm the delivery method of the acceptance letter and the immigration document International Programs will hold documents for 2 business days and mail using regular or snail mail. The regular mail is not certified, and International Programs cannot guarantee receipt on time. Normal timeline for mail delivery through regular/ snail mail can be 2-9 weeks.

Express mail

The University will express mail students their acceptance letter and immigration document   at the request of the student. Student must create an account and pay for express mail service at https://study.eshipglobal.com  

All international students are required to attend the mandatory international student orientation. The date is listed on Student immigration document I-20/DS2019. Failing to attend mandatory orientation will result in cancellation of scholarships and cancellation of Student International student record. Students must notify the International Programs of any delays to prevent such cancellations.

All F-1 and J-1international students and scholars are required to purchase the mandatory health insurance through the University of Houston-Victoria (UHV). Government and other organization sponsored students are able to submit their government issued insurance via waiver.

All F-1 international students (F-1 status must be approved at the first class start date) will be granted automatic International Cultural Scholarship of $1500 during the first semester as long as the student is enrolled in fulltime course load at UHV (fulltime is defined as 12 credits as an undergraduate student and 9 credits as a graduate student). Upon completion of the 10-mandatory volunteer hours and maintaining of cumulative GPA of 2.5 for undergraduate students and 3.0 for graduate students the student will continue to receive the International Cultural Scholarship for the duration of 4.5 years as an undergraduate student and 2.5 years as a graduate student.

Mandatory International Student Orientation

As new entering F-1 visa holder student, the student must attend the mandatory orientation and enroll in 12 credits as an undergraduate student and 9 credits as a graduate student at UHV. Concurrent enrollment with a partner institution will not count towards in receiving scholarships awarded by the International Programs.

Immigration and naturalization documents of U.S. citizens naturalized in the United States, Permanent Residents, other non-immigrant visa holders, immigrant visa holders, refugee, asylee and other non-U.S. citizens immigration documents and other necessary documents may be completed by the International Programs.

Transcript Requests by the Student

If students wish to request copies of transcripts student must submit Academic Records Request Form located on the Admissions web page to request records: International Academic Records Request Form

International Programs Fradulent Document Policy

The submission of documents such as transcripts, diplomas, test scores, references, or applications, bank statements and funding documents, agreements that are forged, fraudulent, altered from the original, materially incomplete, obtained under false pretenses, or otherwise deceptive (collectively referred to as fraudulent documents) is prohibited by the University of Houston-Victoria (UHV).

University reserves the right to withdraw offers of admissions, place a temporary or permanent ban on applying for future admissions, prohibit registration, rescind degrees, and suspend or expel students who present fraudulent documents. Such actions may also result in forfeiture of academic credit earned while enrolled under false pretenses. Dismissal of misconduct does not abrogate a student’s financial responsibility to the University, the federal government, or private loan providers. Students remain liable for all relevant tuition and fees and the payment of their debts.

It is illegal for any person to falsely represent themselves as having received a degree. Such a violation is punishable by a monetary penalty per offense. Forgery of a document is a criminal offense that can be prosecuted under criminal law. University reserves the right to file criminal charges against any individual who submits fraudulent documents in accordance with the laws of the state of Texas and/or appropriate U.S. Federal statute.

Residency Status

Determining Texas Residency

Under state statutes pursuant to Title 3 Texas Education Code and the Rules and Regulations for Determining Residence Status made known by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) which interpret those statutes, an individual will be classified as a resident or nonresident. Residency rules are adopted and amended by legislative action.

Student residence status for tuition purposes will be determined by the Office of Admissions prior to Student enrollment. Students may contact the Office of Admissions for help in determining correct residence status for tuition purposes or for steps to complete in order to change residence status.

Student must be prepared to pay tuition and other required fees by specified due dates or become subject to the penalties applied by the Coordinating Board rules. If Student have knowledge of an error in Student residency status for tuition purposes, it is Student responsibility to notify the Office of Admissions immediately. These rules are subject to change.

For current Residency Information, view the Coordinating Board’s College for All Texans websiteEnter “Residency Information” in the search box to find the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Rules on Determining Residency.

An individual who has lived in the state under circumstances specified in these rules will be eligible for classification as a resident. An individual who does not meet resident criteria will be classified as a non-resident and must pay tuition and fees required of non-resident students. An individual classified as a non-resident may qualify to pay resident tuition rates and other charges while continuing to be classified as a non-resident under certain exceptions specified in these rules.

If Student believe that Student qualify based on the State statutes, Student may request the Core Residency Questionnaire from the Admissions Office, or print the form from the link and attach the supporting documents for proof of Student claim to Texas residency.

Initial Residency Information

To ensure proper resident classification upon admission to University of Houston-Victoria, students must make sure they answer all questions related to Texas resident status that appear on the ApplyTexas electronic application for admission. It is the student’s responsibility to provide correct information to the Office of Admissions so that resident status may be correctly determined at the time of enrollment. UHV may request that a person provide documentation to support or clarify the answers to residency questions previously submitted.

Initial Residency Information

To ensure proper resident classification upon admission to University of Houston-Victoria, students must make sure they answer all questions related to Texas resident status that appear on the ApplyTexas electronic application for admission. It is the student’s responsibility to provide correct information to the Office of Admissions so that resident status may be correctly determined at the time of enrollment. UHV may request that a person provide documentation to support or clarify the answers to residency questions previously submitted.

Errors in Residency Classification

Errors in residency classification may occur. However, the university will respond to questions upon notification by students. If Student believe Student resident status to be incorrect prior to or during Student enrollment at UHV, Student may contact the Office of Admissions to determine the proper steps to take to address Student concerns.

If UHV, in spite of information to the contrary that is provided by the student by the census date of a given semester, fails to classify an otherwise eligible student as a resident when the are entitled to resident tuition for that semester, UHV will refund the difference in resident and nonresident tuition for each semester in which the student was erroneously classified and paid the nonresident tuition rate. An appeal form must be submitted to the Student Billing stating the reason the student was charged in error and requesting the refund.

If UHV erroneously permits a person to pay resident tuition and the person is not entitled or permitted to pay resident tuition under the rules stated on the THECB

website, UHV shall charge nonresident tuition to the person beginning with the semester following the date that the error is discovered.

UHV may notify the student before the first day of the following semester that he or she must pay the difference between resident and nonresident tuition for each previous semester in which the student should not have paid resident tuition if the person: 1) failed to provide to UHV, in a timely manner after the information becomes available or on request by UHV, any information that the person reasonably should know would be relevant to an accurate classification by the institution under this subchapter information; or 2) the person provided false information to the institution n that the person reasonable should know could lead to an error in classification by

UHV under this rule.

Reclassification Based on Additional or Changed Information

If a person is initially classified as a nonresident based on information provided, the person may request reclassification by providing UHV Admissions Office with supporting documentation as described in the residency rules on the THECB website.

Study and Intern Abroad

Study Abroad Application Procedures

All UHV students can apply to study and intern abroad. Students must be in sophomore standing with 2.5 or higher GPA. Some programs may require 3.0 or higher GPA to be admitted to the program. Students must complete the University of Houston-Victoria (UHV) study abroad application requirements to receive approval to study or intern abroad. Students must also meet admission requirements set by their chosen study abroad program and be accepted into the program. International Programs approval does not guarantee admission into any study intern abroad program. As part of the application to study and intern abroad students are required to complete a section on health and wellness and well as student conduct.  Study and Intern Abroad can be in the following. Depending on the interest in destination student will need find the best fit program.

     1. Exchange students
     2. UHV Affiliated Programs (a contract with UHV)
     3. Faculty-led programs
     4. Third party vendor programs
     5. Virtual Intern Abroad programs

Step 1:

Make Study Abroad advising appointment with the International Programs to discuss Student plans. To schedule an appointment, Student can call International Programs at 1-361-570-4106 or email StudyAbroad@uhv.edu Student can stop by the International Programs Office, we cannot guarantee that Student will be able to meet with an advisor immediately. College specific programs must meet with the Study Abroad Advisor to the School the Study Abroad program is sponsored by.

Step II:

Submit the following documents to the International Programs

  • Completed Study Abroad Application
  • Completed Study Abroad Transfer Course Agreement Form (Faculty led Study Intern Abroad Programs will not need to submit this Form)
  • If Student have questions completing the Study Intern Abroad Application Packet, stop by the International Programs for assistance. Please make sure Student bring all Student paper work to the appointment
  • International Programs fee of $100 each semester will be added to Student student bill for each semester student studies abroad through a UHV affiliated program. 
  • Pay the necessary program deposits (faculty-led program, UHV affiliated programs and non-UHV affiliated programs).
  • Pay the non-refundable application fee of $225 to the International Programs

Step III:

Upon confirmation of Student Study Abroad participation from the Study Abroad Advisor, students must submit the following documents to the International Programs

  • Copy of Passport (picture page, passport number and expiration date)
  • Study Abroad Application Deposit __________ (varies according to the Study Intern Abroad Program). Must be paid to the Student Billing.
  • 2 Academic or Professional Letters of Recommendation
  • 500 word Study Abroad Essay

Please return all the items to the International Programs Office, at University West 228 or Student can scan and email to StudyAbroad@uhv.edu  on or before the Study Abroad application deadline. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

Study Abroad Deadlines

       Students applying for study abroad in the fall semester: March 1
       Students applying for study abroad in the spring semester: September 15
       Students applying for study abroad/ internships abroad summer semester: March 1

International Programs recommends that Student keep a copy of all Student documents for Student records.

Key Information:

  • Passport must be valid at least 6-months or more BEYOND Student arrival back in to the United States.
  • It is Student responsibility to know if Student need a visa to travel to another country. International Programs will assist Student with the paper work process. If Student are not a

U.S. citizen, if Student are a permanent resident or a student on a non-immigrant or immigrant visa status it is Student responsibility to check with Student home country government to confirm whether or not Student would need a visa. Student should also reference the State Department website to ensure that Student obtain all proper immunizations for the country to which Student will travel.

Study Intern Abroad: Applying for Financial Aid
Study Intern Abroad can be expensive. Students who are eligible can apply for Financial Aid If Student are applying for their Study Intern Abroad experience. First the student must meet with the Study Intern Abroad Advisor, determine the courses and the cost, second the student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the academic year in which Student are planning to study abroad in order to be eligible to receive aid awards prior to the deadline date. Student can apply online at www.fafsa.gov. If Student have not had financial aid previous to this academic year or Student do not currently have a financial aid in this academic year, please see Applying for Financial Aid at  https://www.uhv.edu/financial-aid/getting-started/how-to-apply/.

Once Student have completed the FAFSA and if Student are chosen for verification as noted on Student Student Aid Report, Student can view these requirements via the financial aid portal or contact our office for required documents. This process can take up to 3 weeks or more to be completed, so plan. If Student are required to turn in the “Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form”, please turn this in with any supporting to determine aid eligibility.

Be sure to monitor Student requirement online via the financial aid portal to see if any additional documentation is needed to determine Student aid eligibility.

Financial Aid for third party programs

Students will need to work with UHV Financial Aid office prior to completing the Study and intern abroad application of their Financial aid package.

Summer Programs and Summer Internships

Students taking part in summer Study Abroad programs and Internships Abroad will only need to complete the Summer Aid forms. For questions and information please visit the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.


Using Financial Aid to Study Abroad
Student must be enrolled at UHV in a degree-seeking program and participating in a University-approved study abroad program, enrolled at least half-time, and making Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by the University and by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at https://www.uhv.edu/financial-aid/financial-aid-policies/.Student may not postpone Student graduation in order to study abroad and receive financial aid. In these cases, participation must be at Student own expense.

There is no guarantee that Student will receive enough financial aid to completely cover the total cost of the study abroad program. Student will need to pay all required deposits for Student Study/Intern Abroad program, since financial aid funds are generally not available on Student student account until ten days before Student classes for study abroad begin.

Receiving Financial Aid
Financial aid for studying abroad, as with all other enrollment periods, cannot be authorized for disbursement to Student student account until approximately 10 days prior to the start of Student study abroad classes. It is recommended that Student are sure of Student refund preference as funds will be delivered to Student based on the method chosen. Student can check out Student refund preference at General Refund and Withdrawal Information.

IF ANY INFORMATION CHANGES ( i.e. dates, credit hours , or anything else about the program) the student is required to notify  the office of Student Financial Aid. Student eligibility may then need to be recalculated.

International Students and other Non-Immigrant Visa Holders
Please note the Federal Financial Aid in available only to U.S. citizens. However students can visit the Scholarships and Financial Aid Office to inquire on loans, grants and scholarships available to international students and others. International students and other non-immigrant visa holders are responsible for the entire Study Intern Abroad costs involved and must be paid in full prior to departure and must meet the payment deadlines.


Refunds may be applied depending on the participating program but not guaranteed. If the student is taking part in faculty-led programs the refunds will not be applied unless the program is cancelled by UHV. All other program refunds may apply according to the host institution and host organization refund policies. UHV will not refunds once the program is started.


Travel abroad involves some risks and uncertainties not present at UHV, including risks of injuries, damages, or other harm that may arise during the overseas study period. UHV students accept these risks and uncertainties as well as accept responsibility for their own safety. University of Houston-Victoria (UHV) cannot guarantee students safety while living abroad.

Voluntary Withdrawal

UHV students who choose to withdraw from the study intern abroad program must be aware that UHV will not assume any financial responsibility for such a voluntary withdrawal. Furthermore, UHV students must pay careful attention to the cancellation/withdrawal policies of the host university program or program provider.

The International Programs will notify Financial Aid of Student withdrawal. Please note that students who withdraw after a program begins should expect to repay any financial aid, including scholarships and loans, awarded for the Study Intern Abroad program.

Involuntary Withdrawal

Students who are involuntarily withdrawn or dismissed from a program are responsible for all program costs and may receive no academic credit.  Students will not be able to register for classes on-campus during their assigned registration appointment until their withdrawal is fully recorded by the registrar office. UHV students may be required to withdraw from a Study Intern Abroad program involuntarily. Reasons could- but are not limited to - medical needs, political instability, natural disasters or other evacuations, pandemic, epidemic. The International Programs will make every reasonable effort to advocate for refunds of unspent expenses. However, University of Houston-Victoria will not assume any financial responsibility for such involuntary withdrawals. It is expected that after a program is cancelled or after it is determined that a student must withdraw from a program involuntarily, the student will depart from the program location within 24 hours. In some cases, a student be asked to sign a document acknowledging that her/his participation in the program has concluded.

Deferring Program Participation

Students who withdraw may not defer their application to a subsequent term, but they are welcome to re-apply. Students who withdraw after the deadline will not receive deposits or application fee. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss their intent to withdraw with an UHV Study Intern Abroad staff member to be certain they full comprehend the academic and financial implications before making such decision.

Program Cancellation

UHV reserve the right to alter or cancel all Study or Intern Abroad programs at any time. Programs may be cancelled due to health and safety reasons or other unforeseen circumstances. If the student is dismissed from the Study Intern Abroad program student is responsible for all payments, no academic credit will be awarded, and student may face student conduct if the reason is a student conduct issue. Students who are on Financial Aid/ Loans are still responsible to complete payment for the Study Intern Abroad program. 

Study and Intern Abroad Credit Transfer Process Explained

Students must always refer to the Study and Intern Abroad policy and practices handbook which was emailed to Student at the time of the program confirmation to the Study and Intern Abroad program. Students must complete the Transfer Credit Agreement (TCA) to the academic advisor and to the International Programs. Now let’s understand how the credit transfer process work. Majority of Study Abroad programs through UHV will count as transfer credit upon Student return to UHV (Faculty-Led courses are direct UHV courses and will not be counted as transfer credits). With careful planning with Academic Advising and Study Intern Abroad Advisor Student can apply abroad credit towards Student degree requirements at UHV. Here are some of the ways how Student can apply the transfer credit from abroad:

  • Elective Credit: Almost all courses offered through approved UHV Study Intern Abroad programs can earn general elective credit. Students earn the number of credit hours (or equivalent) towards graduation. In the TCA student must list whether the course is elective or major requirement.
  • Core Requirement: Many students find Study Abroad programs offers a great opportunity to work on UHV core requirements. Submit the TCA in advance to determine if they meet the criteria for Core requirement. The International Programs in collaboration with the Academic Department and Academic Advisors will review the transfer credit requests.
  • Major or Minor Credit: Courses taken abroad may count towards Student major or minor. The academic departments at UHV are responsible for reviewing transfer credit requests for majors and minors. Student must clearly indicate in the TCA whether the course is a major or minor.
  • Pre-Requisite Courses Taken Abroad: Yes, student may complete a pre-requisite course abroad. However, student must receive approval from the academic advisor in doing so.
  • Foreign Language Credit: Students can earn language credit towards core, major, minor or elective requirement. Must receipt approval from the academic department.
  • Internship Credit: Yes, student can earn internship, co-op credits while studying and interning abroad with approval from the academic department.

*If student selects higher level courses the course may count towards upper division/ lower division course.

  • UHV is unable to provide advising for non-UHV affiliated programs. The students must work independently with the program provider. UHV cannot take responsibility for the academic quality of non-affiliated programs, nor does the University carry any liability for UHV who choose to participate in them (Non-affiliate programs are not exchange programs set forth by the International Programs Office. Non-affiliate programs are the ones that student decides to study on their own)
  • All course work on non-UHV courses is considered transfer credit.  After completing the program, an official transcript should be submitted to the UHV’s Office of the Registrar’s and Student academic advisor to process academic credits. 
  • Students are required to keep all documents (syllabi, course descriptions, tests, papers, etc) from the program in base transfer credit specialists/ academic advisors have questions regarding the course work taken abroad.
  • Students must research the academic quality of their selected study abroad program, as well as their health and safety practices. Students are strongly advised to speak for former participants to verify the quality of the program and have realistic expectations. Contact the program provider and request contact information of the previous participants.
  • While participating in a non-affiliated program, students are NOT considered UHV students, thus students may not have access to some of the services provided by UHV to matriculate students only.
  • Students who are not enrolled at UHV are not eligible to receive financial aid through the university. Therefore, students participating in non-affiliated programs may apply for financial aid through the institution offering the program. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss their study abroad plans and financial situation with the UHV Financial Aid and Scholarships Office before they commit to any Study Intern Abroad Program.
  • The federal government required that aid eligibility only be based on those courses that count toward the completion of a degree. To be considered a full-time student for financial aid purposes, students must be enrolled in 12 credit hours as an undergraduate and 9 credit hours as a graduate student that count towards a degree. To be eligible for most financial aid, students’ needs to be enrolled for fulltime.
  • Students seeking transfer credit for foreign languages are advised to consult with the department chair or academic advisor prior to participating in a study abroad program to determine which courses may be applied towards the requirements, minors, and majors at UHV.  
  • A minimum of 15 classroom hours must be completed and reported to receive one semester hour of credit (15 class hrs= 1 semester credit hour). Class hours are restricted to actual classroom instruction. Other activities such as field trips, family/community interactions etc do not apply.
  • A minimum stay of two weeks is required for each three semester hours of credit:
                Semester Hours Needed                                 Class Hours Required
                            3                                                                   45
                            4                                                                   60
                            6                                                                   90
                            8                                                                   120
                            12                                                                 180
  • UHV cannot guarantee credit upon return to UHV for courses that are taken that are not pre-approved by UHV. If a student decided to take a course without pre-approved or adds additional courses apart from the course listing in the TCA, the student will risk not receiving credit for that course, which might cause complications, such as delaying course registration for the next semester, affecting financial aid eligibility, and/or delaying graduation.
  • The TCA form completed prior to Student departure is not final. Students can make changes to their scheduled courses upon arrival at the host institution, however if any courses are added, Student must complete a new TCA and obtain necessary approval.

Study/Intern Abroad Course Registration

Students studying or interning abroad through a program affiliated through UHV the student will be registered for Study Intern Abroad placeholder courses the term the student is abroad once the program deposit is paid and study and intern abroad placement is confirmed. This process may take two weeks to 8 weeks.  Student may not add/ drop courses on their own. If the student has questions on their place holder courses student should contact the International Programs or the Office of the Registrar and Student Records. The courses registration and all questions pertaining to courses must be resolved prior to the departure and must be enrolled in the courses according to the courses listed in the TCA agreement.  Once the student submits the official transcript to the Office of the Registrar and Student Records the courses will be applied towards the degree plan. Students studying or interning abroad through a non-UHV affiliated program must be cautious on course registration and must work with the institution or organization on Financial Aid and course registration as well as other pertinent information. In such case, International Programs will guide the student to proper channels, but the student is responsible for all program planning, logistics, payments, course enrollment, transfer of courses and conclusion of the program.

Credit and Grades

Credits and grades earned for approved courses on all UHV-approved study intern abroad programs are treated as transfer credit. All UHV academic regulations and policies apply to students studying for UHV credit abroad. The courses, credits and grades are reviewed, approved, and posted as transfer credit on the student’s UHV transcript. Students taking part in non-UHV affiliated program must consult their academic advisor to ensure the courses completed outside of the U.S. will transfer over to the degree plan. In such case, a course-by-course evaluation will be required to apply the transfer credit to the student degree plan. Students with failing or incomplete grades will not receive transfer credit and may not fulfill the degree completion requirements.

Final Exams

This section is relevant to students who will enroll in coursework at an international host institution.  Most institutions abroad have more formalized exam periods than what students may be used to at UHV.  The official exam timetable is usually posted during the month before the exams are held, students may not know the dates of the exams for specific courses until quite late in the semester abroad.  For this reason, when purchasing plane ticket students are encouraged not to depart the host city until the day after the last day of the scheduled exam period.  UHV makes every effort to provide students with program dates well in advance of Student departure, although in some cases the dates may not be finalized until after student arrives on-site. In general, students will not be allowed to take exams early, and if students do leave Student host country before taking the exams, students may fail the course, student may not receive academic credit. UHV can proctor of the exam however it is dependent on the host institution examination policies.

Grades Abroad

This section is relevant to students who will enroll in coursework at an international host institution (not applied to faculty-led programs).  International Programs and/or Student program provider will provide the conversion scales that convert international grades to US grades.

  • The International Programs does not interfere with the academic judgment of student professors overseas.  UHV will not award grades, nor do we “round up” low grades on Student behalf.  We simply convert the final grades from abroad to UHV grades, using a predetermined scale (see the site-specific section of Student orientation materials for the grade conversion scale for Student host institution, if applicable) and then share the grades recommended by the host institution to the Office of the Registrar and Student Records at UHV.  
  • International Programs will not mediate grade disputes between students and professors abroad.  If a student has not dealt with the problem on-site, International Programs will assist the student from this end by helping the student to get in touch with the professor abroad, but student will be responsible for pleading Student own case. More information on grades can be found under the UHV Academic policy on grades.
  • International Programs does not have the option to ignore a grade on a transcript. The only recourse student will have will be to appeal to the UHV upon Student return for a retroactive late drop, but these cases are taken very seriously and cannot be put forward without the support of Provost and/ or Dean of the College.


At the end of the study or intern abroad program, the program provider or host institution will send the student’s official grade report or transcript to the UHV Office of the Registrar and Student Records. It is the student’s responsibility to designate the Office of the Registrar and Student Records as the place to send their transcript with their study and intern abroad program. The students are strongly advised to connect with the host institution ahead of time to request the official transcript. Typically, transcripts are received from abroad between 2 weeks to 3 months from the completion of their study intern abroad program. Students who intend to apply for national fellowships, or graduate programs, should keep this time frame in mind at the time of application for study and intern abroad programs. Once the UHV Office of the Registrar and Student Records receives transcripts from abroad it may take several weeks for courses to be posted to the UHV transcript.


If Student are a senior student, please note that UHV may not receive the final grades in time for the commencement that takes place immediately at the end of Student semester abroad, students’ graduation maybe postponed until the following semester. If Student will not be in United States at the time of the student’s official graduation, students will need to arrange to take part in the commencement at a later commencement ceremony by connecting with the Office of the Registrar.  If the student wish to take part in the commencement without the official transcripts student should connect with the Office of the Registrar in doing so. Please contact Student academic adviser concerning the intent to graduate.