Jun 19, 2024  
2023-2024 Academic Catalog 
2023-2024 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Undergraduate Admissions

Freshman - First Time Enrolled

An applicant who graduated or will graduate from a U.S. high school (accredited, non-accredited, or home school) or earned a GED certificate must meet 2 of the 3 following requirements to be eligible for regular admission:

  • Rank in the top 50% of the graduating senior class. * (Not applicable to GED or homeschooled students.)
  • Overall high school grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale under the “recommended” or “distinguished” high school program, or a curriculum that is equivalent in content and rigor as the recommended or advanced program.
    Note: Students who pass the GED exam will be recognized as satisfying the 2.0 grade point average (GPA) requirement.
  • A minimum score of 18 on the Enhanced American College Test (ACT) OR a minimum score of 940 on the New Scholastic Assessment Test (New SAT) [Evidence-Based Reading/Writing & Math sections].

*Per HB588 - An applicant will be automatically admitted if they graduated in the top 10% of their class from an accredited Texas public high school within the two years prior to the academic year for which admission is sought, and an application is submitted by the published deadline.

Home-schooled students are required to take and submit either the ACT or SAT exam and meet 2 of the 3 requirements listed above.  Upon receiving test scores, the student will be assigned a class rank based on the average class rank for those with comparable exam scores.  Home-schooled transcripts must be signed by the principal.

A permanent resident alien who has completed two or more years in, and graduated from, a U.S. high school is required to meet the admission requirements established for U.S. citizens.


An applicant with 12 or more semester credit hours of college credit, other than high school advanced/dual credit.

A transfer undergraduate student must have earned at least a 2.0 (A=4.0) cumulative grade point average in all non-remedial college level coursework from a(n) CHEA recognized institutional accreditation agencies.

A student who is not eligible to continue work at another institution because of academic failure will not be admitted to this university until he/she has met UH-Victoria’s Readmission from Academic Suspension policy:

  • A first suspension applies to the fall or spring term, plus any intervening summer sessions, immediately following the suspension. A student would be eligible to reenroll after the suspension period.
  • Students placed on first academic suspension at the end of a fall semester are not eligible to re-enroll until the following summer.
  • Students placed on first academic suspension at the end of a spring semester are not eligible to re-enroll until the following spring.
  • Students placed on first academic suspension at the end of a summer session are not eligible to re-enroll until the following spring.

If suspended a second time, the student may not reenroll for a period of at least one year (12 months) and must submit a petition in writing to the academic dean for readmission.

Example: Placed on second suspension after the Fall 2020 term; eligible to re-enroll Spring 2022 upon successful appeal to the academic dean.

If suspended a third time, a student may not reenroll at UH-Victoria for a minimum of three years. Students may appeal to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs for reinstatement after the third year. Example: Placed on third suspension after the Fall 2020 term; eligible to appeal for reinstatement after the Fall 2023 term.

University of Houston System Student Pathways

Undergraduate students from UHV or other UH System campuses may participate in the UH System Student Pathways Program by submitting the one-page Pathways application to attend any UH System institution without applying through the ApplyTexas website. Students who choose this option may take up to six approved credit hours of coursework to apply to their current undergraduate degree plan. The courses may be taken during a single semester or in two different semesters. Currently, the program allows for a maximum of 6 hours during the student’s academic career and the courses must apply to the student’s current degree at the home institution. There is no application fee, and all university services at both the home and the host institution are available to students during the semesters in which they are enrolled in the program. At the conclusion of the semester, the student’s grade(s) and credit(s) are sent back to the student’s “home” university automatically. Financial aid is also available through consortium agreements among the four universities. Contact your academic advisor or the UHV Pathways coordinator for information about the process.

Transient (Visiting) Undergraduate Students (one full term only)

UHV will accept transient students who have met the following requirements:

  • Apply Texas Application.  A $25.00 non-refundable/non-transferrable application fee will be required.
  • Letter of proof of enrollment in good standing at their home college or university or official or unofficial transcript.
  • Cumulative college or university grade point average of at least a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale on all transferable hours.

Transient students are typically enrolled at another institution who may want to take a course(s) and then transfer them back to their “home” institution. Transient students considered non-degree seeking and are limited to one semester with transient status. A student who chooses to continue enrollment at UHV must submit a new application and official transcripts from all schools previously attended before being allowed to register for any subsequent terms.

Admissions Appeals

A student disapproved for admission are entitled to have their application re-evaluated through the appeals process. Appeals must be submitted in writing to the Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment. To submit an admissions appeal, please visit the eForms website to complete and submit the “Admissions Appeal” form. UHV reserves the right to admit any applicant on probation.

Readmission of Former Undergraduate Students

Former UHV students are required to submit:         

  • Readmit Admission application on GoApplyTexas
  • $25 application fee
  • Official transcripts from all institutions attended since last enrollment at UHV (if applicable)

Former students are considered anyone:

  • who has not enrolled at UHV for 13 uninterrupted months (3 consecutive terms) from their initial semester,
  • with an application which has been discontinued for non-enrollment,
  • who has earned a bachelor’s or graduate degree.

Academic Fresh Start

An undergraduate applicant for admission who is a Texas resident may seek to enter UH-Victoria pursuant to the “academic fresh start” statute, Texas Education Code 51.931.  If an applicant elects to seek admission under this statute, the institution will not consider academic course credits or grades earned by the applicant 10 or more years prior to the starting date of the term in which the applicant seeks to enroll.  An applicant who elects to apply under this statute may not receive any course credit for courses taken 10 or more years prior to enrollment.

An applicant must inform the Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment in writing if the student wishes to apply under the “fresh start” statute.  Forms are available in the Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment.

Adult Admission Program

The Adult Admission Program is designed to offer an opportunity for students to return to college.  Applicants must be at least 25 years of age, have graduated from high school or received their GED, and have earned fewer than 12 college credit hours. Standardized tests are optional. Individuals eligible for this program are exempt from taking the SAT and ACT tests are admitted under the provisions of the Adult Admission Program. Students are subject to all other academic and programmatic requirements of the university (e.g., Texas Success Initiative requirements).

Adult Admission application process:

  • An application for admission, which can be completed online at GoApplyTexas
  • A non-refundable $25 application fee
  • An official copy of the high school transcript(s) or GED certificate or diploma
  • Official transcripts of and previous dual-credit/university work if applicable
  • Adult Admissions Program request form

** Students born outside of the U.S. and/or with International Transcripts

English translated official high school transcript(s), test scores, mark sheets or diploma

Students with college/ university courses/ degree/ diplomas from an institution outside of the U.S. must follow the International Transcript Process listed https://www.uhv.edu/international/apply-for-program/transcripts/

Students who wish to pursue an academic field in Education may need to submit the English Proficiency Requirement (EPR) to be admitted into the program. All other fields may require EPR to be waived through a Waiver.

All documents can be sent electronically to Admissions@uhv.edu or by mail to:

University of Houston-Victoria

Office of Admissions and Transfer Credit

3007 N. Ben Wilson

West Building, Suite #122

Victoria, TX 77901


Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination requirement - Must show evidence of having received the Bacterial Meningitis vaccination or qualified exemption. (Students who are 22 years of age or older or planning to take online courses only - no campus-based courses- are exempt.)